From: Sue... on
On Nov 23, 8:41 am, Laurent <cyberd...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

General relativty has its problems with time and energy
too:
<< In general relativity, on the other hand, it has no
meaning to speak of a definite localization of energy.
One may define a quantity which is divergence
free analogous to the energy-momentum density tensor
of special relativity, but it is gauge dependent:
i.e., it is not covariant under general coordinate
transformations. Consequently the fact that it is
divergence free does not yield a meaningful law of local
energy conservation. Thus one has, as Hilbert
saw it, in such theories `improper energy theorems.' >>
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/~cwp/articles/noether.asg/noether.html
[1]

> If energy is finite, then we must have covariance, if it isn't then
> there is no need for covariance.
>
> So, what's the answer?

Findings like these:

<< Cooper pairs are present in both superconductors
and insulators, they believe that they behave
differently in each instance. In superconductors,
pairs link up with other pairs and move in a linear
way to create a continuous stream of electric current.
Think of a conga line. But in the insulating film,
researchers believe the pairs spin solo.
Think of couples twirling on a ballroom dance floor. >>
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/11/071122151144.htm

"Tajmar / de Matos"
http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/GSP/SEM0L6OVGJE_0.html

....have me wondering if more energy should be allocated
to the gas immedately surrounding the mass that
is reacting inertially to an applied force.

After all, it does take some energy to align a collection
of atoms. When the induction force is removed,
the energy is released as an EM signal. (NMR).

Fortunately, that would more closely approximate
a Newtonian inertial ether.

They laughed at George Westinghouse when he proposed
to stop a train with air so I'll no doubt be burned at the
stake for suggesting that planets can be steered with air.

http://cua.mit.edu/ketterle_group/Projects_1997/atomlaser_97/atomlaser_comm.html

Sue...

From: kenseto on

"bz" <bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message
> colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in news:837a2c0c-8bfc-4aa8-8f45-
> 1267e6c0a1f6(a)e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > On Nov 23, 1:53 pm, "Sue..." <suzysewns...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> >> On Nov 22, 7:20 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr...(a)nowhere.org> wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> Perhaps you should compare the 1905 paper used
> >> by proponents of the twins myth with the 1920
> >> paper which only couples to inertia by mass
> >> energy equivalence.
> >
> > If there is one thing that science doesn't like, it is having to say
> > that it can't explain the phenomena.
>
> Science does NOT seek to explain phenomena.
>
> Science seeks to study phenomena that are observable, verifiable,
> identifiable and formulate theories that allow the prediction of further
> phenomena.
>
> A theory MUST be falsifiable. In other words, it must be possible to
> formulate an experiment that MIGHT show the theory to be wrong.
> A theory that can not be tested is not a scientific theory, it is
> philosophy.

Then SR is not a scientific theory. Why? because it is not falsifiable. In
SR the speed of light is a defined constant c by a circular definition of
.......1 meter = 1/299,792,458 light second.

From: kenseto on

"Bryan Olson" <fakeaddress(a)nowhere.org> wrote in message
> Ken Seto wrote:
> > [...] I said that a clock second for a moving clock
> > contains a larger amount of absolute time. This corresponds to the SR
> > assertion that the rate on the moving clock is running slow compared to
the
> > observer's clock.
>
> On the other hand, a second observer, in the frame of the
> 'moving' clock, sees the first observer's clock running slow.

No that's not observed experimentally. From the ground clock point of view
the SR effect on the GPS clock is 7 us/day running slow compared to the
ground clock. But from the GPS clock point of view the SR effect on the
ground clock is approx. 7 us/day running fast.

> So what's the deal on this "absolute time"?

It's a BIG deal. Absolute time is the only time exists. A clock second in a
specfic frame (a specfic state of absolute motion) will represent a specific
interval of absolute time. Two clocks in relative motion are in different
states of absolute motion. That's why clocks in relative motion are running
at different rates......SR interprets the different rates of the relative
clocks as time dilation.

> In one frame,
> clock A's second contains "a larger amount of absolute time"
> than clock B's second, while in another frame, clock B's
> second contains more of this "absolute" time than clock A's.

Absolute time is common time. The rate of passage of absolute time is the
same in all frames. However, the rate of passage of clock seconds is
different in different frames. Why? Because A's clock second contains a
different amount of absolute time than B's clock second.

Ken Seto

From: Dono on
On Nov 23, 1:03 am, colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote:
<....>

You are still http://eldoradoclub.net/images/wacko-lg_1_.gif

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"colp" <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message news:efba2671-a734-4801-a8ec-64c62f428ff5(a)d4g2000prg.googlegroups.com...
> On Nov 23, 9:53 am, "Dirk Van de moortel" <dirkvandemoor...(a)ThankS-NO-
> SperM.hotmail.com> wrote:

[snip]

>> Have you tried drawing that diagram?
>
> There's not much point unless we can both see the diagram and talk
> about what it represents. That would involve getting the diagram onto
> the internet, which is more work that I am willing to contemplate
> right now.

Well, it has become clear from this (and from your other responses)
that, for some unknown reason, you act like a person who is too stupid
to understand the basics, or to even *try* to understand them, so I will
stop wasting your time. If - and only if - you are ready to reply directly
to my explanation with the spacetime diagram, feel free to do so.

Dirk Vdm