From: Daryl McCullough on
colp says...

>The point is that a paradox exists due to the time dilation expected
>by SR.

No, there is no paradox in the sense of contradiction. If you think
that there is a contradiction, then *derive* it. Start with the assumptions
of Special Relativity, and apply them and show that it leads to a
contradiction through ordinary rules of mathematics.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: bz on
colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in

> On Nov 24, 10:59 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
>> colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote
>> innews:2145a8d3-287f-4ac0-a232-46a77fb32680(a)s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com
>> :

>> > The reason that it is only an instant is that redshift/blueshift
>> > would be expected to occur for the receiver as well as the sender,
>> > based on symmetry. Typically earth-bound receivers don't have to deal
>> > with this issue, so it's no suprise that it didn't occur to you.
>>
>> > Your example said that the maximum signal transit time was longer
>> > than the "a while" that it took for turnaround to occur. So by the
>> > time the signal sent during turnaround got to the other twin, that
>> > twin would be accelerating or cruising, so the 1GHz signal would be
>> > blueshifted during observation and thus observed to be more than
>> > 1GHz.
>>
>> There is NO doppler shift when both ships are moving in the same
>> direction at the same velocity.
>
> That condition never occurs in the experiment.
>
> The point is that a paradox exists due to the time dilation expected
> by SR. The length of time that a 1 GHz signal will be observed in your
> example is incidental.

Look at the number of days I cite for the trip segments.
They are as predicted by SR.

Everything adds up correctly. The accounts all balance.
Two ships travel at .5 c away from each other for a year.
They each turn around when they are .5 ly away from earth.
At that point, they are 1 ly apart.
They meet again on earth after 632.199 days.
Their stay at home sister has counted 730 days by her clock since they
left.
They are 97.801 days younger than they would have been if they had stayed
home.
There are NO paradoxes. It works out exactly correct.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap
From: bz on

> Considering that you have not denied that you made an error in the
> opening post when you implied that observed time compression occurred
> on the return leg, I will take your comment as a compliment.

Dirk did NOT make a mistake [as I have been trying to show you], I suggest
you let it go.

Or are you trying for a special place in Dirks immortal fumbles pages?
Google for it.

From: Dirk Van de moortel on

"bz" <bz+spr(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote in message news:Xns99F268BCBE27EWQAHBGMXSZHVspammote(a)130.39.198.139...
> colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in

>> Considering that you have not denied that you made an error in the
>> opening post when you implied that observed time compression occurred
>> on the return leg, I will take your comment as a compliment.
>
> Dirk did NOT make a mistake [as I have been trying to show you], I suggest
> you let it go.
>
> Or are you trying for a special place in Dirks immortal fumbles pages?
> Google for it.

Nah, it would be more of the same. Besides, he might be
already in there under a different name. Nil novi sub sole.

I suggest you let it go - let's keep him as ignorant as possible.
We love it. He loves it. Win-Win.

Dirk Vdm
From: Dono on
On Nov 24, 7:22 am, colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote:
<...?>

http://www.drunkmotherfucker.com/funny/dumbass.gif