From: Lisi on
I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny in order to be able to
show a *********** insurance inspector what the junction, where my husband
and a cyclist had a slight contretemps a few weeks ago, looked like.

I am not getting very far. Googling brings up more stories of failure and
frustration than anything else. I finally tried using this:
http://www.ghacks.net/2010/05/20/install-google-earth-on-linux/

I downloaded, then:
<quote>
lisi(a)Tux:~$ cd /home/lisi/Peter/Google_Earth/
lisi(a)Tux:~/Peter/Google_Earth$ chmod u+x GoogleEarthLinux.bin
lisi(a)Tux:~/Peter/Google_Earth$ su
Password:
Tux:/home/lisi/Peter/Google_Earth# ./GoogleEarthLinux.bin
Verifying archive integrity... All good.
Uncompressing Google Earth for GNU/Linux
5.1.3535.3218..............................................................
No protocol specified
Tux:/home/lisi/Peter/Google_Earth#
</quote>

I am short of time now, getting riled and probably not thinking straight.

Can any kind soul point me in the right direction or give me a hint as to what
I can usefully put in a Google search? Garbage in and garbage out. :-(

Thanks for any help,
Lisi

On Monday 24 May 2010 16:11:43 Stephen Powell wrote:
> Both Yahoo and Mapquest have aerial photos available, down
> to fairly decent resolution in most areas.

Thanks, Stephen. Shall try both immediately.

Lisi

On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:47:35 -0400 (EDT), Lisi wrote:

> I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny ...

Lisi,

This is not really an answer to your question, but rather
an alternative, especially since you are short of time.
Both Yahoo and Mapquest have aerial photos available, down
to fairly decent resolution in most areas. I can clearly
pick out my house on a 60'x120' lot using it. It may be
adequate for your purposes. And in public places, such
as the capitol building, I can pick out individual people,
though I obviously can't tell who they are. Try, for example,

http://www.mapquest.com/

To see actual photographs, click on "Aerial map" in the
upper right hand corner. By default, it shows street names
too, but you can turn that off by clicking off the check
box for "show labels". The zoom control is in the upper
left-hand corner of the picture.

HTH

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Mon, 24 May 2010 15:47:35 +0100
Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lisi,

> I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny in order to be
> able to show a *********** insurance inspector what the junction,
> where my husband

Why not just use Google Maps? Even if the agent is elsewhere, you can
give him the url via the "link", err, link.

Failing that, snapshot the screen, and "paint" info onto that to
indicate where vehicles and cyclist were, directions of travel, etc.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

No you can't hop into my shower
Leave Me Alone (I'm Lonely) - P!nk
From: Stephen Powell on
On Mon, 24 May 2010 11:19:32 -0400 (EDT), Brad Rogers wrote:
> Lisi <lisi.reisz(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have been trying to install Google Earth on Lenny in order to be
>> able to show a *********** insurance inspector what the junction,
>> where my husband ...
>
> Why not just use Google Maps? Even if the agent is elsewhere, you can
> give him the url via the "link", err, link.
>
> Failing that, snapshot the screen, and "paint" info onto that to
> indicate where vehicles and cyclist were, directions of travel, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, Brad. I like Google maps even better
than Mapquest. They even have a "street's-eye view available." I can
see my house with my car parked in front of it. Neat!

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :