From: smlunatick on
On Jan 16, 12:38 am, "JD" <ereh...(a)example.com> wrote:
> My stepson visits for a couple of weeks each year. He installed a wireless
> router on our desktop so he could use his laptop while he's here. My
> question:
> If this router is not used for most of the year, does it have to be turned
> on 24/7?
> I'm thinking of an analogy with VCRs. When a VCR is turned off, the CATV
> signal just passes through it. Would the same thing be true of a wireless
> router?

If he installed a router, then you r desktop PC "might" be accessing
the Internet thorough it also. If when you turn the power off the
router, check to see if the desktop can still access the Internet.
Probably, it "might" not be able to access the Internet.

Routers do not work "akin" to the CATV "splitter" that most VCRs
have. Routers "behave" like a "traffic cop" which will control the
direction of the network traffic flows.