From: JD on
My stepson visits for a couple of weeks each year. He installed a wireless
router on our desktop so he could use his laptop while he's here. My
question:
If this router is not used for most of the year, does it have to be turned
on 24/7?
I'm thinking of an analogy with VCRs. When a VCR is turned off, the CATV
signal just passes through it. Would the same thing be true of a wireless
router?

From: Lem on
JD wrote:
> My stepson visits for a couple of weeks each year. He installed a wireless
> router on our desktop so he could use his laptop while he's here. My
> question:
> If this router is not used for most of the year, does it have to be turned
> on 24/7?
> I'm thinking of an analogy with VCRs. When a VCR is turned off, the CATV
> signal just passes through it. Would the same thing be true of a wireless
> router?

Not quite. You won't be able to access the Internet if you just turn
the router's power off.

But even if you have only one computer, you're better off with a router
between you and the Internet. It provides a significant layer of
protection. Your stepson probably connected the router directly to your
cable or DSL modem and then connected your desktop PC to the router
using an Ethernet cable. You should leave this as is. The router needs
to be powered on whenever you intend to access the Internet.

You can, if you like, turn off the "wireless" part of the router. This
will ensure that there is absolutely no way for anyone to connect to
your system from outside of your home. Configuring the router is
usually easy to do. If you supply the make and model of the router,
someone here can give you step by step instructions.

Removing the router entirely (i.e., going back to your previous setup)
may involve changing some settings on your computer, depending on how
you access the Internet.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: ~~Alan~~ on
If you're out to save some bucks on electricity, the router must be left on.
If you're worried about someone using your internet service via wireless,
the wireless portion can be turned off.

Note: The router is a good first step as a firewall using NAT (I'll let you
look this up).

~alan

From: JD on
Thanks very much for your analysis. My understanding is that the wireless
access is password protected, so I'm not concerned about anyone accessing my
connection from outside my home. The fact that the router provides a
"significant layer of protection" is (welcome) news to me. I was really only
thinking of the electricity to run a device that was not in use, but if, as
it appears, it is actually useful, I am satisfied to leave well enough
alone. Again, I really appreciate the info you've given me.

From: JD on
I was, in fact, only thinking of "saving some bucks on electricity," so I
appreciate the information from both you and Lem that it must be left on. I
will "look up" the NAT (of which I've never heard). Thank you very much for
your response.