From: Roger Leigh on
I've formatted an external 500GB HDD with UDF using mkudffs
(--media-type=hd --blocksize=512), and this is now usable by both
Linux and Windows. While copying data to it, the copy aborted
with a mkdir error (ENOSPC). df showed that it had used about
20% of the data blocks and a tiny fraction (<1%) of the inodes.
However, it had used just over 16000 inodes.

Does anyone know if there's a limit on directory entries?
Google and other UDF spec docs aren't being helpful here.

Also, are there any of the mkudffs options which can be used
to raise the limit?

Thanks,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh
From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:30:42 +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:

> I've formatted an external 500GB HDD with UDF using mkudffs
> (--media-type=hd --blocksize=512), and this is now usable by both Linux
> and Windows. While copying data to it, the copy aborted with a mkdir
> error (ENOSPC). df showed that it had used about 20% of the data blocks
> and a tiny fraction (<1%) of the inodes. However, it had used just over
> 16000 inodes.

Wow, it seems there are more people out there using UDF as standard
filesystem than I could imagine :-)

> Does anyone know if there's a limit on directory entries? Google and
> other UDF spec docs aren't being helpful here.

***
http://www.isit.com/st/documents/document3497.htm

UDF Directory Limits

Directory Size - 264-1 bytes

Sub-directories per Directory - 216-1 sub-directories
Directory Name - 256 bytes

UDF File Limits
http://www.mdi.com/SoftwareAndHardware/udf.asp#UDF

Full specs: