From: Warren King on
Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?

Warren King

wking(a)meritel.com

From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:34:09 -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>> Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?
>> It depends on the exact model.
>> There are some Atom micros supporting 64 bits (amd64) but the vast
>> majority don't (just 32 bits, so i386 is required), so better check
>> first the serial number.
>
> Don't bother checking: since you had to ask the question,

Not "me" :-)

> you won't care
> whether you run a 64bit or 32bit kernel, and since those processors
> don't support much more than 2GB anyway, there's no point running a
> 64bit kernel.

There are still reasons to install a 64 bits kernel if the micro supports
it. In fact, I have an Intel Celeron with just 1 GiB of RAM (max. allowed
is 2 GiB) and installed a 64 bits (amd64) Debian, just for compatibility
issues with the rest of the machines which are also running 64 bits
kernels :-)

> I.e. just use your regular 32bit Intel install (i386/x86/i686/IA32 or
> whichever name you like to use to refer to it).

In Debian is called "i386".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Stefan Monnier put forth on 2/16/2010 9:34 AM:
>>> Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?
>> It depends on the exact model.
>> There are some Atom micros supporting 64 bits (amd64) but the vast
>> majority don't (just 32 bits, so i386 is required), so better check first
>> the serial number.
>
> Don't bother checking: since you had to ask the question, you won't care
> whether you run a 64bit or 32bit kernel, and since those processors
> don't support much more than 2GB anyway, there's no point running
> a 64bit kernel.
> I.e. just use your regular 32bit Intel install (i386/x86/i686/IA32 or
> whichever name you like to use to refer to it).

+1

As a bonus, due to various architectural reasons I won't delve into, 32bit
binaries will usually run slightly faster than the 64 bit cousins, and they'll
take up a little bit less disk space.

--
Stan

El Tuesday 16 February 2010 10:09:34 Warren King va escriure:
> Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?

If it's a 64 bits one you should use amd64, otherwise or in doubt use x86.

--

Marc Olivé
Grup Blau

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 01:09:34 -0800, Warren King wrote:

> Which architecture should I use for an Intel Atom Processor?

It depends on the exact model.

There are some Atom micros supporting 64 bits (amd64) but the vast
majority don't (just 32 bits, so i386 is required), so better check first
the serial number.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: j2se on debian
Next: UDF: maximum file/directory limit?