From: Jason Heeris on
On 16 February 2010 18:08, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 February 2010 16:51, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Package "udftools" comes with "wrudf" which is decribes as:
>>
>> ***
>> wrudf - Maintains a UDF filesystem (undocumented)
>> ***
>
> Ah yes...  wow, it is quite undocumented, isn't it...

Alas, I couldn't get it to work:

user(a)comp:~$ sudo wrudf /dev/sdc
wrudf 0.0.5
No disc or not ready

I'd go so far as to say that it's so undocumented as to be almost
completely unusable, but wading through the source gives me a hint as
to why it won't work — I *suspect* that it requires a partitioned
block device.

Anyway, thanks for the hint :)

— Jason

> ¿NTFS? It should fit some of your requirements (works on windows, linux
> and MacOS -I think-) and allows ACL.

It's not so much user ACL but the whole executable/read/write issue (I
get a bit sick of 100s of, eg. photos being marked executable, and
having to manually sort it out) — does NTFS support those kinds of
attributes?

> A networked hard disk (stand-alone enclosure or attached to a computer
> via samba/nfs/sshfs) is desiderable when several OS need access on it.
> This way, filesystem does not matter at all :-)

Unless there's no network ;) The context is me (a) spending 90% of my
time on Debian, but (b) being able to unplug the drive, take it
somewhere else, possibly with or without internet access or a LAN, and
having a better-than-miniscule chance of reading and writing to it.
But I think I should spend some more time doing some research (or give
up and hope the target computer supports EXT2). It seems like an
impossible problem — there's no intersection between {filesystems that
do what I want} and {filesystems supported by certain complacent and
closed operating systems} and {filesystems with up-to-date tools}.

Besides, I already paid for the USB HDD :P

— Jason

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 20:26:05 +0800, Jason Heeris wrote:

>> ¿NTFS? It should fit some of your requirements (works on windows, linux
>> and MacOS -I think-) and allows ACL.
>
> It's not so much user ACL but the whole executable/read/write issue (I
> get a bit sick of 100s of, eg. photos being marked executable, and
> having to manually sort it out) — does NTFS support those kinds of
> attributes?

Yep :-)

In fact, NTFS has much more attributes than POSIX :-P

File Ownership and Permissions
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/b.andre/permissions.html

Anyway, I would only recommend going to NTFS in the event you've got a
windows system from where to perfom any maintenance tasks (scandisk and
defrag) natively.

>> A networked hard disk (stand-alone enclosure or attached to a computer
>> via samba/nfs/sshfs) is desiderable when several OS need access on it.
>> This way, filesystem does not matter at all :-)
>
> Unless there's no network ;) The context is me (a) spending 90% of my
> time on Debian, but (b) being able to unplug the drive, take it
> somewhere else, possibly with or without internet access or a LAN, and
> having a better-than-miniscule chance of reading and writing to it. But
> I think I should spend some more time doing some research (or give up
> and hope the target computer supports EXT2). It seems like an impossible
> problem — there's no intersection between {filesystems that do what I
> want} and {filesystems supported by certain complacent and closed
> operating systems} and {filesystems with up-to-date tools}.
>
> Besides, I already paid for the USB HDD :P

Yes, it is (still nowadays) a big issue.

- FAT32 is nice/flexible but has the 4 GiB filesize limits that can be a
real handycap if working with big files

- NTFS is a bit better in this regards, but is propietary software and
quite obfuscated though works well.

- Ext3 (or modern *NIX filesystems, such ReiserFS, XFS...) requiere some
thrird-party programs to be installed in Windows, and not sure how are
these filesystems handled by MacOS :-?

So yes, under this panorama UDF seemed the best alternative, but I think
is a bit unmature to be a trustworthy alternative.

We (users) are stuck :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón