From: lrhorer on

I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
GRUB2 failed. The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with three
partitions each. Each partition on each drive is a RAID1 mirror of the
same partition on the other drive. The first partitions on both drives
are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted as /boot. When I run

`dpkg --configure grub-pc`

I get the following:

Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
Generating core.img
/usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 1
grub-pc

I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found quite
a number of references, but none were really helpful in resolving the
issue. (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora and is going to
be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.) Where do I modify the
package configuration to let grub-probe know which modules to load? If
GRUB2 were already configured, then I think I could manually modify the
grub.cfg file to get it to work, but if GRUB2 were already configured,
I wouldn't have the problem inthe first place, and until GRUB2 is at
least partially configured grub.cfg won't even exist.

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:

> I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
> GRUB2 failed.  The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with three
> partitions each.  Each partition on each drive is a RAID1 mirror of the
> same partition on the other drive.  The first partitions on both drives
> are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted as /boot.  When I run
>
> `dpkg --configure grub-pc`
>
> I get the following:
>
> Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
> Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
> Generating core.img
> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
> Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
> Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
> dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
>  subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
> status 1
>  grub-pc
>
> I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found quite
> a number of references, but none were really helpful in resolving the
> issue.  (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora and is going to
> be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.)  Where do I modify the
> package configuration to let grub-probe know which modules to load?  If
> GRUB2 were already configured, then I think I could manually modify the
> grub.cfg file to get it to work, but if GRUB2 were already configured,
> I wouldn't have the problem in the first place, and until GRUB2 is at
> least partially configured grub.cfg won't even exist.

You can't load modules for grub-probe.

But you can for grub-install.

The default modules that I have in a Sid VM for an install without
mdraid or lvm are:
minicmd, true, loadenv, extcmd, test, sh, normal, charset, terminal,
crypto, boot, part_msdos, ext2, fshelp, biosdisk

I have no idea whether they are hard-coded or there is a file
somewhere that can be edited to control to which ones grub-install
defaults.

But you can specify modules for grub-install with
grub-install --modules='raid mdraid <list above>' <device>

(What does your device.map look like?)

Tom H wrote:

> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>
>> I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
>> GRUB2 failed.  The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with
>> three partitions each.  Each partition on each drive is a RAID1
>> mirror of the same partition on the other drive.  The first
>> partitions on both drives are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted
>> as /boot.  When I run
>>
>> `dpkg --configure grub-pc`
>>
>> I get the following:
>>
>> Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
>> Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
>> Generating core.img
>> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
>> Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
>> Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
>> dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
>> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
>> status 1
>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>> grub-pc
>>
>> I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found
>> quite a number of references, but none were really helpful in
>> resolving the issue.  (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora
>> and is going to be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.)
>> Where do I modify the package configuration to let grub-probe know
>> which modules to load?  If GRUB2 were already configured, then I
>> think I could manually modify the grub.cfg file to get it to work,
>> but if GRUB2 were already configured, I wouldn't have the problem in
>> the first place, and until GRUB2 is at least partially configured
>> grub.cfg won't even exist.
>
> You can't load modules for grub-probe.
>
> But you can for grub-install.
>
> The default modules that I have in a Sid VM for an install without
> mdraid or lvm are:
> minicmd, true, loadenv, extcmd, test, sh, normal, charset, terminal,
> crypto, boot, part_msdos, ext2, fshelp, biosdisk
>
> I have no idea whether they are hard-coded or there is a file
> somewhere that can be edited to control to which ones grub-install
> defaults.

That doesn't help. Until grub2 is unpacked and configured, neither
grub-probe nor grub-install (for GRUB 2) will exist. I can't pass
parameters to a binary that doesn't exist. Passing them to the same
respective file for GRUB legacy won't help, either.

> But you can specify modules for grub-install with
> grub-install --modules='raid mdraid <list above>' <device>
>
> (What does your device.map look like?)

It doesn't matter since `dpkg --configure grub-pc` overwrites it with
the default every time before it gets to the point where it might be
used.

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 9:57 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
> Tom H wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM, lrhorer <lrhorer(a)satx.rr.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I upgraded a box from "Lenny" to "Squeeze", but the update of GRUB to
>>> GRUB2 failed.  The box is running a pair of IDE hard drives with
>>> three partitions each.  Each partition on each drive is a RAID1
>>> mirror of the same partition on the other drive.  The first
>>> partitions on both drives are members of /dev/md1, whihc is mounted
>>> as /boot.  When I run
>>>
>>> `dpkg --configure grub-pc`
>>>
>>> I get the following:
>>>
>>> Backup:/# dpkg --configure grub-pc
>>> Setting up grub-pc (1.98-1) ...
>>> Generating core.img
>>> /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: no mapping exists for `md1'.
>>> Auto-detection of a filesystem module failed.
>>> Please specify the module with the option `--modules' explicitly.
>>> dpkg: error processing grub-pc (--configure):
>>> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
>>> status 1
>>> Errors were encountered while processing:
>>> grub-pc
>>>
>>> I searched the web for errors relating to this issue, and I found
>>> quite a number of references, but none were really helpful in
>>> resolving the issue.  (The fact it has been fixed in Ubuntu or Fedora
>>> and is going to be fixed in Debian really doesn't help me much.)
>>> Where do I modify the package configuration to let grub-probe know
>>> which modules to load?  If GRUB2 were already configured, then I
>>> think I could manually modify the grub.cfg file to get it to work,
>>> but if GRUB2 were already configured, I wouldn't have the problem in
>>> the first place, and until GRUB2 is at least partially configured
>>> grub.cfg won't even exist.
>>
>> You can't load modules for grub-probe.
>>
>> But you can for grub-install.
>>
>> The default modules that I have in a Sid VM for an install without
>> mdraid or lvm are:
>> minicmd, true, loadenv, extcmd, test, sh, normal, charset, terminal,
>> crypto, boot, part_msdos, ext2, fshelp, biosdisk
>>
>> I have no idea whether they are hard-coded or there is a file
>> somewhere that can be edited to control to which ones grub-install
>> defaults.
>
> That doesn't help.  Until grub2 is unpacked and configured, neither
> grub-probe nor grub-install (for GRUB 2) will exist.  I can't pass
> parameters to a binary that doesn't exist.  Passing them to the same
> respective file for GRUB legacy won't help, either.

If you don't have grub-install, you are missing grub-common, upon
which grub-pc depends.

"bin" files in grub-common and grub-pc:

grub-common
/usr/bin/grub-bin2h
/usr/bin/grub-editenv
/usr/bin/grub-mkelfimage
/usr/bin/grub-mkfont
/usr/bin/grub-mkisofs
/usr/bin/grub-mkpasswd-pbkdf2
/usr/bin/grub-mkrelpath
/usr/bin/grub-mkrescue
/usr/bin/grub-script-check
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig
/usr/sbin/grub-mkdevicemap
/usr/sbin/grub-probe

grub-pc
/usr/sbin/grub-install
/usr/sbin/grub-reboot
/usr/sbin/grub-set-default
/usr/sbin/grub-setup
/usr/sbin/update-grub
/usr/sbin/update-grub2
/usr/sbin/upgrade-from-grub-legacy

>> But you can specify modules for grub-install with
>> grub-install --modules='raid mdraid <list above>' <device>
>>
>> (What does your device.map look like?)
>
> It doesn't matter since `dpkg --configure grub-pc` overwrites it with
> the default every time before it gets to the point where it might be
> used.

Who cares? You don't have to use "dpkg --configure...".

>>> You can't load modules for grub-probe.
>>>
>>> But you can for grub-install.
>>>
>>> The default modules that I have in a Sid VM for an install without
>>> mdraid or lvm are:
>>> minicmd, true, loadenv, extcmd, test, sh, normal, charset, terminal,
>>> crypto, boot, part_msdos, ext2, fshelp, biosdisk
>>>
>>> I have no idea whether they are hard-coded or there is a file
>>> somewhere that can be edited to control to which ones grub-install
>>> defaults.
>>
>> That doesn't help.  Until grub2 is unpacked and configured, neither
>> grub-probe nor grub-install (for GRUB 2) will exist.  I can't pass
>> parameters to a binary that doesn't exist.  Passing them to the same
>> respective file for GRUB legacy won't help, either.
>
> If you don't have grub-install, you are missing grub-common, upon
> which grub-pc depends.

Yes, of course. The point you seem to be missing is that until the
package is upgraded, those won't exist, and until they exist, I can't
upgrade the package.

>> It doesn't matter since `dpkg --configure grub-pc` overwrites it with
>> the default every time before it gets to the point where it might be
>> used.
>
> Who cares? You don't have to use "dpkg --configure...".

If you have more specific suggestions, I welcome them. Telling me what
I don't have to do is really not helpful. Note I am not particularly
intersted in completely over-writing GRUB legacy until I know GRUB 2 is
working: I very much like the Debian upgrade approach of chain-loading
GRUB2 from GRUB legacy until one is certain everything is working. I'm
running Debian "Squeeze", upgraded from "Lenny". I have a RAID1 array
which is mounted as /boot once the system exits initrd. GRUB legacy
reads one or the other RAID1 member as if it were an ordinary partition
and boots accordingly.

From menu.lst:

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-3-amd64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-3-amd64 root=/dev/md2 ro quiet
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.32-3-amd64

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-3-amd64 (single-user
mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-3-amd64 root=/dev/md2 ro single
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.32-3-amd64

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64 root=/dev/md2 ro quiet
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.26-2-amd64 (single-user
mode)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-amd64 root=/dev/md2 ro single
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64

From /etc/fstab:

proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/md1 /boot ext2 defaults 0 2
/dev/md2 / ext3 defaults 0 1
/dev/md3 none swap sw 0 0

From /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf:

ARRAY /dev/md0 level=raid6 num-devices=9 metadata=01.2 name=Backup:0
UUID=431244d6:45d9635a:e88b3de5:92f30255
ARRAY /dev/md1 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=01.0 name=Backup:1
UUID=d6a2c60b:7345e957:05aefe0b:f8d1527f
ARRAY /dev/md2 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=01.2 name=Backup:2
UUID=d45ff663:9e53774c:6fcf9968:21692025
ARRAY /dev/md3 level=raid1 num-devices=2 metadata=01.2 name=Backup:3
UUID=51d22c47:10f58974:0b27ef04:5609d357