From: Stan Hoeppner on
B. Alexander put forth on 5/14/2010 10:12 PM:
> IMHO, Debian seems to have the best record of successful upgrades.

I've in-place upgraded one of my production servers from Woody through Lenny
with only relatively minor issues. I've been thoroughly impressed by
Debian's dist upgrade reliability since I starting using the distro in 2000.

Always read the release notes and other related docs before performing your
dist upgrade. Failing to do so may cause unnecessary problems.

--
Stan

On 05/15/2010 04:25 AM, ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just one question,
>
> Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release.. Currently still using lenny.
>
> Thanks
> RJB
> Sent from my BlackBerry�
> powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT
Hi,
I'm beginner and desktop user but never had any problem with upgrade,
well have one minor but it's my fault not Debian.
One box upgraded Lenny to Squeeze, other Squeeze to Sid.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:48:31AM +0200, godo wrote:
> On 05/15/2010 04:25 AM, ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com wrote:
> >Hi there,
> >
> >Just one question,
> >
> >Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release... Currently still using lenny.
> >
> >Thanks
> >RJB
> >Sent from my BlackBerry®
> >powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT
> Hi,
> I'm beginner and desktop user but never had any problem with
> upgrade, well have one minor but it's my fault not Debian.
> One box upgraded Lenny to Squeeze, other Squeeze to Sid.
>
> --
> Bye,
> Goran Dobosevic
> Hrvatski: www.dobosevic.com
> English: www.dobosevic.com/en/
> Registered Linux User #503414

> listmaster(a)lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4BEE6DEF.5030501(a)dobosevic.com

Just upgraded Lenny to Squeeze with aptitude update ; aptitude dist-upgrade

Repeated runs through eventually got it there though it did look scary to see quite as many broken packages at intermediate
steps.

Vim-common and vim-tiny wouldn't update - there's a conflict with a file in llvm-dev

One of the splash screen programs had a similar conflict and also stopped the process dead at one point. A manual deinstall of llvm-dev
solved that one as did deinstalling ksplash from KDE 3.

Hope this helps someone,

AndyC

ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just one question,
>
> Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release.. Currently still using lenny.

I do dist-upgrades from Sid, but I also have kept up a script that
installs from scratch.

The reason for the latter is that I like to know what packages I asked
to be installed and for what reason.

The vast majority of packages are dependencies and it is never clear why
they were pulled in and by whom.

I now do a dist-upgrade and see:

858 upgraded, 289 newly installed, 15 to remove and 1 not upgraded.

Yet as I install from scratch I only ask for 220 packages in total.

Hugo

On 5/14/2010 9:25 PM, ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release.. Currently still using lenny.

I used the testing installer recently, and was amazed at how terrible
and buggy it was, so, if I had a working system, I would certainly
upgrade in preference to using that dreadful installer. However, I
would rather upgrade piecemeal with safe-upgrade rather than use
dist-upgrade. Too dangerous and drastic. Be sure you research some of
the stumbling blocks, like the udev thing. (Upgrade udev *before* you
upgrade the kernel.)

MAA