From: ryanjonathanb on
Hi there,

Just one question,

Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release.. Currently still using lenny.

Thanks
RJB
Sent from my BlackBerry®
powered by Sinyal Kuat INDOSAT
From: 刘宇辉 on
On 15 May 2010 10:25, <ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Just one question,
>
> Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new
> iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release..
> Currently still using lenny.

If i were you , I'd like to reinstall the Debian, i don't like being
bothered by the boring problem in upgrading . But , you'd better take other
factors into consideration , such as what you using debian for . If you are
just using the debian for desktop , why not try the testing Squeeze? Good
luck !

--
________________________
wolf python london(WPL)
From: Alan Ianson on
On Fri May 14 2010 07:25:34 pm ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just one question,
>
> Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new
> iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release..
> Currently still using lenny.

I don't think there is a "better" way. I use either method. If it is a new
install (for whatever reason) I do a new install, but if I want to upgrade a
current install I upgrade. Be sure to read the release notes of the new
version before proceeding though.

I don't know how well the upgrade from lenny to squeeze is tested ATM though.
By release time it should be well documented and work as expected but we are
not there yet.

IMHO, Debian seems to have the best record of successful upgrades. I run Sid
on several of my boxes, which means it is in a constant state of upgrade. On
my workstation, with a very eclectic mix of software, I have only started
over from scratch twice in the last 10 years...Once in 2000 and once in
2007.

--b

From: Jimmy Johnson on
ryanjonathanb(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Just one question,
>
> Is it better to upgrade debian using dist-upgrade or just download the new iso and reinstalling it?? I'm waiting for the squeeze final release.. Currently still using lenny.

As a KDE user I currently know of one bug (it has been reported to the
Debian maintainer), applies to unstable or Squeeze, "plasma-widget-yawp"
will not connect/work, any version yawp, any version kde 4, it can be
reproduced by upgrading Lenny to Squeeze or unstable, kde 3 to kde 4.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Squeeze at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263