From: Sven Joachim on
On 2010-06-12 21:06 +0200, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:

> I have both xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xser-xorg-video-fbdev
> installed (just confirmed it in aptitude), but it doesn't appear that
> they are being used.

I see. The latest xserver-xorg-core in sid uses nouveau by default, but
that version is not in squeeze yet (and will take some time to migrate
due to a dependency on a new libc6 on hppa).

> I did try using the 4-line minimal xorg.conf file suggested at the
> nouveau.freedesktop.org location to force nouveau to be used. When I
> booted I got a blue text-graphics screen which said that X had failed
> to start and which asked if I wanted to view the log (with a choice of
> yes / no). However, I didn't get a chance to answer because I was then
> unceremoniously dumped at the console logon prompt. I logged on as
> root and removed the 4-line file, and then everything was as it had
> been before.

It would be quite interesting to view the log with nouveau used as the X
driver.

> I would trying turning KMS off just to see if I could learn anything,
> but I haven't yet found out how to do it with a grub 2 system.

You may as well blacklist nouveau then, since it is completely useless
without KMS (the nouveau X driver requires KMS). Note, however, that
without an xorg.conf the most recent xserver-xorg-core will still load
the module.

Sven

On 06/12/2010 03:20 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-06-12 21:06 +0200, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>
>> I have both xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xser-xorg-video-fbdev
>> installed (just confirmed it in aptitude), but it doesn't appear that
>> they are being used.
>
> I see. The latest xserver-xorg-core in sid uses nouveau by default, but
> that version is not in squeeze yet (and will take some time to migrate
> due to a dependency on a new libc6 on hppa).

Okay, that's beginning to make a little sense now. I thought that I had
read that nouveau was going to be the new default once xserver-xorg-core
was updated. I saw an update to that package in the beginning of May and
assumed (apparently wrongly) that it was the version that was going to
make nouveau the default. I could see that I wasn't using nouveau, but I
wasn't concerned because everything was working.

>> I did try using the 4-line minimal xorg.conf file suggested at the
>> nouveau.freedesktop.org location to force nouveau to be used. When I
>> booted I got a blue text-graphics screen which said that X had failed
>> to start and which asked if I wanted to view the log (with a choice of
>> yes / no). However, I didn't get a chance to answer because I was then
>> unceremoniously dumped at the console logon prompt. I logged on as
>> root and removed the 4-line file, and then everything was as it had
>> been before.
>
> It would be quite interesting to view the log with nouveau used as the X
> driver.

I'll try reinstating the 4-liner configuration file and then get the
dmesg output again.

>> I would trying turning KMS off just to see if I could learn anything,
>> but I haven't yet found out how to do it with a grub 2 system.
>
> You may as well blacklist nouveau then, since it is completely useless
> without KMS (the nouveau X driver requires KMS). Note, however, that
> without an xorg.conf the most recent xserver-xorg-core will still load
> the module.
>
> Sven

I think I'm losing my way here. Am I correct in thinking that I have to
do both (turn off KMS and blacklist nouveau). I figured that this would
then leave me with vesa as my driver. Do I need to also create an
xorg.conf file that specifies vesa as my driver?

I'll do some tinkering and see what happens. I still haven't found out
how to turn KMS off on this system. I've tried searching on "kernel mode
setting" and various other terms, but all I ever find is information on
how to turn it *on* on systems where it isn't the default. So far, the
articles on that haven't been helpful to me in figuring out how to turn
it off on a system where it is the default.

On 06/12/2010 03:20 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:

> You may as well blacklist nouveau then, since it is completely useless
> without KMS (the nouveau X driver requires KMS). Note, however, that
> without an xorg.conf the most recent xserver-xorg-core will still load
> the module.

I decided to take baby steps and do one thing at a time. I simply
blacklisted nouveau in

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

That solved the problem on this system. Didn't have to do anything like
creating a /etc/modeprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf file with "modeset=0 " in
it or create an Xorg configuration file in /etc/X11 to load a specific
driver.

The Xorg.0.log is still showing both nv and vesa drivers. Not sure
whether that's good or bad, but everything is working without me having
to boot into the older kernel.

I did file a bug on the 2D driver and will see if anything comes of that.

Thank you very much for your help, Sven.

On 06/11/2010 04:30 PM, Andreas R�nnquist wrote:
> I've ran into this too, and got this solved by blacklisting the nouveau
> module in
>
> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
>
> (adding a line containing just "blacklist nouveau"),
> and adding modeset=0 to my kernel line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I am
> still on grub-legacy, don't know how it is done on grub-2 unfortunately)
>
> This made the system boot fine, but X didn't start before reinstalling
> the nvidia drivers. Doing so and rebooted I was in a functional X, just
> like before the upgrade of the kernel.

I wanted to get back to you and thank you again, Andreas. A little
research revealed that KMS could be turned off on this system using a
"modeset=0" line in /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf. However, that
turned out to be unnecessary. I decided to do only one thing at a time
and test. Adding the "blacklist nouveau" line to
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf was all that was needed to give me my
docked external display back when booting with the new kernel. The
nouveau frame buffer is *not* used, apparently, if nouveau is blacklisted.

My system is working well now with its odd (at least in my eyes) vesa/nv
driver combination.

I filed a bug with freedesktop.org and will see what comes of it. I do
hope to be able to use the nouveau driver with this system eventually.

On 06/12/2010 03:20 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-06-12 21:06 +0200, Gilbert Sullivan wrote:
>
>> I have both xserver-xorg-video-nouveau and xser-xorg-video-fbdev
>> installed (just confirmed it in aptitude), but it doesn't appear that
>> they are being used.
>
> I see. The latest xserver-xorg-core in sid uses nouveau by default, but
> that version is not in squeeze yet (and will take some time to migrate
> due to a dependency on a new libc6 on hppa).
>
>> I did try using the 4-line minimal xorg.conf file suggested at the
>> nouveau.freedesktop.org location to force nouveau to be used. When I
>> booted I got a blue text-graphics screen which said that X had failed
>> to start and which asked if I wanted to view the log (with a choice of
>> yes / no). However, I didn't get a chance to answer because I was then
>> unceremoniously dumped at the console logon prompt. I logged on as
>> root and removed the 4-line file, and then everything was as it had
>> been before.
>
> It would be quite interesting to view the log with nouveau used as the X
> driver.
>
>> I would trying turning KMS off just to see if I could learn anything,
>> but I haven't yet found out how to do it with a grub 2 system.
>
> You may as well blacklist nouveau then, since it is completely useless
> without KMS (the nouveau X driver requires KMS). Note, however, that
> without an xorg.conf the most recent xserver-xorg-core will still load
> the module.
>
> Sven

Following upgrade of xserver-common and xserver-xorg-core from 2:1.7.7-1
to 2:1.7-2 this morning (06/14) the ensuing reboot saw the external
DVI-connected LCD on the port replicator cease to function on *both*
kernels, whether or not nouveau was blacklisted. It was failing at
asking whether or not I wanted to see the xorg log (and not taking
either a yes or no answer). Switching to tty1 enabled me to log on when
booting with the old kernel and make configuration changes.

I removed the "blacklist nouveau" entry from
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf since the port replicator and external
monitor are useless for now.

Drivers now being shown by query:

$ grep -B2 'Module class: X.Org Video Driver' /var/log/Xorg.0.log

(II) Module nouveau: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
--
(II) Module nv: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
--
(II) Module vesa: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
Module class: X.Org Video Driver

The system with the built-in monitor behaves much better than it ever
has before with Open Source drivers. Even with desktop compositing
enabled in Xfce switching among applications and workspaces is
instantaneous.

But my external monitor and the port replicator are now useless to me. I
guess I'll keep experimenting and watching the upgrades as they come
along, hoping to be able to use my docked configuration again some time.

Transitions can be interesting.

Regards,
Gil