From: Jim on
I installed the latest iTunes 64-bit in my Vista 64-bit machine and
now Roxio 2009 can no longer write nor recognize CDs. The ironic
thing is that even *iTunes* opens and says it can not write CDs
because the Registry settings are wrong, despite the fact that iTunes
is what trashed them.

I know I have done something to the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters,
but I do not know exactly what they are? I do know that I went to KB
article 314060 and it did *not* help. There are no entries for
*either* UpperFilters nor LowerFliters in that Registry key. I also
tried the new Microsoft Fix It tool with no success. Lastly I ran
PXEngine and it did *not* help.

Although I did not reinstall iTunes, I did do a Repair installation of
it, and that did *not* fix the problem. As I can not read from either
of my two DVD-RW drives, I cannot reinstall Roxio.

One idea I had was to transfer Roxio to a flash drive and try to
reinstall it from there? I could also copy it to the hard drive and
reinstall it from there, but I would have to copy it to a flash drive
first.

I am sure there is some way to edit the Registry to enable my DVD-RW
drives to work again, but I do not know what to to? I know that
reinstalling Windows wouldn't help, because the error will be reloaded
when my old Registry is reloaded. I do not want to reformat and start
over, as I have 130 GB of stuff installed.

Thank you! :-)

Jim
From: Jim on
On my previous computer running Vista 32 bit I had to download a special
version of Roxio 2009 so tha the program (Roxio) would work properly. I
have just purchased a Dell with Vista 64 bit and it came with Roxio 2010 DE
and have downloaded iTunes 64 bit with no problems - my suggestion is to
review Roxio and up-date.

Jim

From: Jim on
On Sep 18, 8:37 am, "Jim" <heli...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On my previous computer running Vista 32 bit I had to download a special
> version of Roxio 2009 so tha the program (Roxio) would work properly.  I
> have just purchased a Dell with Vista 64 bit and it came with Roxio 2010 DE
> and have downloaded iTunes 64 bit with no problems - my suggestion is to
> review Roxio and up-date.

Jim,

Downloading would work, as then I would not have to use the DVD-RW
drive in the insatllation processs.

Jim
From: Zootal on
I've seen similar problems caused by programs, such as Nero, adding
UpperFilters and LowerFilters, causing the CD/DVD drive to not be
recognized. This is the instructions I saved that fixed this for me several
times, IIRC it came from an MSKB article.

Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry

1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
5. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click
UpperFilters.
6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry

1. In the details pane of Registry Editor, on the right side, click
LowerFilters.
2. On the Edit menu, click Delete.

YMMV - usual disclaimer about editing the registry. I would recommend you
rename the entries instead of deleting them.

From: Jim on
Thanks for all your help!

I've got the "E" drive working, and the "D" drive still can't read or
write CD. I think it might be a hardware problem. I am going to try
replacing the "D" drive, and see whether that fixes the problem.

I was able to reinstall Roxio from the "E" drive, and now both drives
are showing up as recording devices in Roxio, but "D" still does not
work. I'm now suspecting a coincidental hardware failure. If nothing
else, I will get a faster DVD-RW drive. <g>

Jim
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: TV on x64
Next: Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working