From: vr on
Is the GUI for gparted effective enough for "dummies" to get properly
aligned partitions via mindless clicking? Or do you still have to do
some math to get things just right?

On Friday 25 June 2010 10:37:39 vr wrote:
> Is the GUI for gparted effective enough for "dummies" to get properly
> aligned partitions via mindless clicking? Or do you still have to do
> some math to get things just right?

IIRC, none of the gparted UIs do any special alignment of partitions.

However, "mindless clicking" in the GUI is enough to produce a *working* GPT,
which doesn't need partition alignment, IIRC.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Klistvud on
Dne, 25. 06. 2010 17:37:39 je vr napisal(a):
> Is the GUI for gparted effective enough for "dummies" to get properly
> aligned partitions via mindless clicking? Or do you still have to do
> some math to get things just right?

It's as dummy-proof as it gets. No math required. Although, if you
really want *mindless* clicking, I'd recommend a first-person-shooter
instead.

;)

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On 6/25/2010 12:08 PM, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 25. 06. 2010 17:37:39 je vr napisal(a):
>> Is the GUI for gparted effective enough for "dummies" to get properly
>> aligned partitions via mindless clicking? Or do you still have to do
>> some math to get things just right?
>>

> It's as dummy-proof as it gets. No math required. Although, if you
> really want *mindless* clicking, I'd recommend a first-person-shooter
> instead.
>
> ;)

Well after 3 days of reading do's and do not's of SSD's and partitioning
I'm to a point of just wanting to get on with it but haven't found the
right recipe to follow. A first person shooter might be more enjoyable! :)

I picked up an OCZ Vertex 2 and I think I'm in "don't want to choose
wrong" and end up with a slow, stutttering improperly set up system as a
result.

I made a bootable Debian "testing" daily built USB stick to install and
I have a bootable Ubuntu live USB stick to create the partition layout,
whatever that should look like for a desktop Core i5-750 box?

On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 11:04:45 -0500
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> On Friday 25 June 2010 10:37:39 vr wrote:
> > Is the GUI for gparted effective enough for "dummies" to get properly
> > aligned partitions via mindless clicking? Or do you still have to do
> > some math to get things just right?
>
> IIRC, none of the gparted UIs do any special alignment of partitions.

I'm not sure what exactly we mean here by "special alignment", but if
all that's required is partitions that start at the beginning of the
disk, end at the end, and each begin where the previous one leaves off,
then the GUI is fine, and no math is required, IIRC.

Celejar