From: Angus Hedger on
<snip>
> Is vlc really in d-m?  It's in my sources.list ('apt-cache policy'
> demonstrates it), but vlc only seems to be in "Debian".
>
> me(a)haggis:~$ apt-cache policy vlc
> vlc:
>  Installed: 1.0.6-1
>  Candidate: 1.0.6-1
>  Version table:
>  *** 1.0.6-1 0
>        500 http://mirrors.kernel.org sid/main Packages
>        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Hey,

VLC isnt in d-m, but some of the libs VLC uses for codecs are in d-m,
and the problem was caused by an upgrade to one of them.

Regards,

Angus

I found this bug report[1] but I'm not sure on how to proceed in order
to apply that solution. I can remove vlc with no problems, but if I try
removing libavutil50 I have a chain of dependencies complaining:

Remove the following packages:
1) ffmpeg
2) gnome
3) gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
4) libavcodec52
5) libavdevice52
6) libavfilter1
7) libavformat52
8) libpostproc51
9) libswscale0
10) libxine1-ffmpeg
11) libxine1-plugins

now, removing all gnome seems a bit overkill as a solution. Any other
way?

On 17/06/10 13:52, Angus Hedger wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 1:36 PM, Matteo Riva<muradin(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a problem playing AVI divx files with VLC. Yesterday upon start
>> VLC showed an error message complaining about divx codecs and refused to
>> proceed. Today the player starts but the video is squished horizontally
>> (it occupies roughly 1/4th of the VLC window which is for the other part
>> black).
>>
> <snip>
>
>> How can I fix VLC's problem?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> Hey,
>
> Do you use the debian multimedia repo?
>
> Because I had the same problem with VLC myself yesterday, the only
> thing I could do to fix it was to disable the dm repo, purge vlc, and
> reinstall from just debian main.
>
> Regards,
>
> Angus.

Angus

Thanks for the idea. I followed your suggestions and purged the DM
version of VLC, commented out the DM repo in sources.list and
reinstalled from the main Debian repo.

Now VLC is back to its reliable working ways again.

Cheers

AG

This is the error I get in console:

swScaler: pal8 is not supported as output pixel format
[0xa0d7c30] swscale scale error: could not init SwScaler and/or
allocate memory

On 06/17/2010 11:30 AM, Matteo Riva wrote:
> I found this bug report[1] but I'm not sure on how to proceed in order
> to apply that solution. I can remove vlc with no problems, but if I try
> removing libavutil50 I have a chain of dependencies complaining:
>
> Remove the following packages:
> 1) ffmpeg
> 2) gnome
> 3) gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
> 4) libavcodec52
> 5) libavdevice52
> 6) libavfilter1
> 7) libavformat52
> 8) libpostproc51
> 9) libswscale0
> 10) libxine1-ffmpeg
> 11) libxine1-plugins
>
> now, removing all gnome seems a bit overkill as a solution. Any other
> way?

Maybe it's just the gnome metapackage?

--
Seek truth from facts.