From: Anand Sivaram on
On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 08:17, Bob Proulx <bob(a)proulx.com> wrote:

> Stephen Powell wrote:
> > What's the easiest way for a shell script to tell if grub version 1
> > is installed? It is important to distinguish grub version 1 from
> > grub version 2. For example, can I just do this?
> >
> > if [ -f /boot/grub/menu.lst ];then
> > blah
> > blah
> > blah
> > fi
>
> If you only need to know if the grub2 *package* is installed then a
> very quick check is to see if the documentation directory for it is
> installed. Since all packages are required by Debian Policy to have a
> documentation directory.
>
> if [ -d /usr/share/doc/grub-pc ]; then
> echo The Grub2 package is installed.
> fi
>
> > Or does that file exist in grub version 2 as well?
>
> If the machine was upgraded from version 1 to version 2 then the
> menu.lst file will be left behind until manually removed. Because it
> facilitates returning to version 1 if required.
>
> But having the package installed doesn't meant that the machine
> actually has grub2 installed in the boot path. That seems a little
> more difficult.
>
> I recently read this blog entry by Colin Watson that talked a little
> bit about grub versions and the problems of mixing them. You might
> find it interesting.
>

> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/~cjwatson/blosxom/2010/06/21#2010-06-21-grub2-boot-problems<http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/ucgi/%7Ecjwatson/blosxom/2010/06/21#2010-06-21-grub2-boot-problems>
>
> Bob

grub2.0, the following commands print version.
grub-setup --version
grub-setup (GRUB) 1.98-1
grub-install --version
grub-install (GNU GRUB 1.98-1)

for grub1.0
grub --version should print the version.

There is some version information in the MBR also
file -s /dev/sda
From: Tom H on

Anand Sivaram <aspnair(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> grub2.0
> grub-setup --version
> grub-setup (GRUB) 1.98-1
> grub-install --version
> grub-install (GNU GRUB 1.98-1)
> grub1.0
> grub --version should print the version.

>From bootinfoscript
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bootinfoscript/
hexdump -v -n 2 -e '/1 "%x"' $drive
eb48 == grub1