From: Oscar Corte on

Hi:

I would like to test Debian on a new PC.

It's a DELL XPS Inspiron 8100 with a Core i5 64 bits processor.

What would it be the recommended architecture/versioin to choose for download an install?

Could Intel IA-64 work right?

Regards
From: Aioanei Rares on
On 05/11/2010 04:40 PM, Oscar Corte wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I would like to test Debian on a new PC.
>
> It's a DELL XPS Inspiron 8100 with a Core i5 64 bits processor.
>
> What would it be the recommended architecture/versioin to choose for
> download an install?
>
> Could Intel IA-64 work right?
>
> Regards
> Hotmail: Free, trusted and rich email service. Get it now.
> <https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969>
Not IA64 , that's Itanium; amd64 will work for you.
From: Jordan Metzmeier on
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Oscar Corte <oect_1964(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I would like to test Debian on a new PC.
>
> It's a DELL XPS Inspiron 8100 with a Core i5 64 bits processor.
>
> What would it be the recommended architecture/versioin to choose for
> download an install?
>
> Could Intel IA-64 work right?

No, IA-64 is for Intel Itanium CPUs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium . You want i386 (32bit) or amd64
(64bit). There are still minor issues with 64bit desktops. For
example, Adobe's 64bit flash player does not function on all the sites
that the 32bit plugin will.

--
Jordan Metzmeier

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 19:26, Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Oscar Corte <oect_1964(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi:
> >
> > I would like to test Debian on a new PC.
> >
> > It's a DELL XPS Inspiron 8100 with a Core i5 64 bits processor.
> >
> > What would it be the recommended architecture/versioin to choose for
> > download an install?
> >
> > Could Intel IA-64 work right?
> >

> No, IA-64 is for Intel Itanium CPUs
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium . You want i386 (32bit) or amd64
> (64bit). There are still minor issues with 64bit desktops. For
> example, Adobe's 64bit flash player does not function on all the sites
> that the 32bit plugin will.
>
> --
> Jordan Metzmeier

> listmaster(a)lists.debian.org
> Archive:
> http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTil3IyBhKeJ2xkvAooM-q9w_LCP_0phW8zY2xm8L(a)mail.gmail.com
>
> I would suggest to go for amd64. Even if you have one or two i386 only
applications, you could do the following.
try using ia32-libs package
worst case install a 32 bit chroot by spending a few hundred mb of space
From: Kelly Clowers on
On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 06:56, Jordan Metzmeier <titan8990(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Adobe's 64bit flash player does not function on all the sites
> that the 32bit plugin will.

[citation needed]

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers