From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 23:32:17 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:

> Phil Requirements writes:

>> Yes, you need to create a simple xorg.conf, because they aren't used by
>> default. I had to create xorg.conf on my system to specify some
>> keyboard options. It works nicely.
>
> For me the command X -configure doesn't works, because the system hangs
> forever.
>
> What do you command use for xorg.conf to get it? Or, maybe it is there
> another way (udev rules maybe) to setup xkeyboard layouts?

This is what I am using in Lenny in my "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file (the
file is bigger, this is just the section for setting the keyboard). It
should be still valid:

***
Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "es"
EndSection
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 17:15 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Paul Chany <csanyipal(a)gmail.com> writes:
> > Paul Chany <csanyipal(a)gmail.com> writes:

> And from where you know that?

> If one have setup his/her console setup with console-setup tool, then
> his/her xserver uses this setup for XWindow too, right?

I don't quite understand your confusion and I am still not sure if I can
help you, because I don't know the *tool* you are using to switch
between different keymaps and its requirements.

You use console-setup (dpkg-reconfigure console-setup) and the
aforementioned files to configure your *global*/default keymap used in X
and on the console.

There are a variety of ways to *switch* keymaps within X and most
desktop environments provide their own tools to do so.
(gnome-keyboard-properties for example), but you can always use a tool
such as "setxkbmap" to switch to a different keymap without the need to
run "gnome-settings-daemon" (or other applicable DE daemons/tools). It is
fairly easy to define hotkeys that trigger different "setxkbmap"
commands in most window managers.

I have already pointed out that I don't know the tool you are using to
switch keymaps, but if its requirement is that you define *all* keymaps you
might potentially use in your xorg.xonf then this is most definitely the
only way *if you want to use that tool*. You might want to read the
README.Debian for that tool and its manpage to check if the way to setup
it changed in the meantime.

What went wrong with "X -configure" or "X -configure :1"? It is hard to
help if you don't provide any output generated by these programs? Have
you read the wiki page I linked?

Kind regards

Wolodja
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: Charles Kroeger on
Try this: #dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

This makes an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, but sometimes it's not so good, but
you have to try, then read this:

$man xorg.conf

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 03:47, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 23:32:17 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
>
>> Phil Requirements writes:
>
>>> Yes, you need to create a simple xorg.conf, because they aren't used by
>>> default. I had to create xorg.conf on my system to specify some
>>> keyboard options. It works nicely.
>>
>> For me the command X -configure doesn't works, because the system hangs
>> forever.
>>
>> What do you command use for xorg.conf to get it? Or, maybe it is there
>> another way (udev rules maybe) to setup xkeyboard layouts?
>
> This is what I am using in Lenny in my "/etc/X11/xorg.conf" file (the
> file is bigger, this is just the section for setting the keyboard). It
> should be still valid:
>
> ***
> Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier      "Generic Keyboard"
>        Driver          "kbd"
>        Option          "XkbRules"      "xorg"
>        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
>        Option          "XkbLayout"     "es"
> EndSection
> ***

That doesn't even work anymore, does it? At least for a while when the
changeover first happened, I had that stuff in xorg.conf, but it had no effect
until I put it in /etc/default/console-setup (later /etc/default/keyboard)

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On Sat, Jun 05, 2010 at 20:41 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:

> > There are a variety of ways to *switch* keymaps within X and most
> > desktop environments provide their own tools to do so.
> > (gnome-keyboard-properties for example), but you can always use a tool
> > such as "setxkbmap" to switch to a different keymap without the need to
> > run "gnome-settings-daemon" (or other applicable DE daemons/tools). It is
> > fairly easy to define hotkeys that trigger different "setxkbmap"
> > commands in most window managers.
>
> I don't use GNOME. I was always used fookb-wmaker on Window Maker to
> swtich keyboard layouts.

Yes, sure. I never assumed that you do and just wanted to point out how
*other* WMs/DEs handle the situation. Is setxkbmap working?

> > What went wrong with "X -configure" or "X -configure :1"? It is hard to
> > help if you don't provide any output generated by these programs? Have
> > you read the wiki page I linked?

> Like I sed there isn't any output of X -configure command; the system
> hangs forever, so I must to restart the PC Box with the Reset Button.

That is unfortunate and you might want to file a bug against Xorg, but
as fookb-wmaker seems to need a specific Xorg configuration you will
have to configure Xorg in another way. You did execute that command as
root, didn't you? Do you execute it within a running X server and hence
user "X -configure :1"? Does the same happen when you use "Xorg
-configure :1" ?

Try:

dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

which should generate a xorg.conf file for you and read "man xorg.conf".
You can also base your configuration on

/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg/examples/xorg.conf

You can also use a different keymap switcher, e.g. stxkbmap with
suitable hotkeys configured in wmaker or run the applicable GNOME
daemons (gnome-settings-daemon) and configure your keymaps with
gnome-keyboard-properties.

good luck

Wolodja