From: Wolodja Wentland on
On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 20:03 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:

> Unfortunately for this I have to have setup XKeyboard layouts in
> xorg.conf. I had this setup on Debian Lenny because there is the file
> /etc/X11/Xorg.conf but here on Squeeze I can't find any Xorg.conf.

The Xorg version in squeeze relies on udev for autoconfiguration and
there are a bunch of options to configure the keymap. KDE/Gnome/... ship
their own tools to do that, but that seems not applicable in your case.

If you *need* a Xorg.conf there is no harm in creating one and *all*
user configuration should happen in there. (as opposed to arcane
udev/hal rules). Take a look at [1] if you want more information. :)

The easiest way to create a bare Xorg.conf is to use

X -configure
or
X -configure :1 (if server is active)

> Without this setup I can't use fookb-wmaker. :(

I don't know that program as I typically setup some hotkeys to call
setxkbmap with the appropriate options for switching keymaps.

> Where can I setup Xkeyboard layouts for XWindow system on Debian
> Squeeze?

... as you said: In your Xorg.conf (presumably) :)

Good luck

Wolodja

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/InputHotplugGuide
--
.''`. Wolodja Wentland <wentland(a)cl.uni-heidelberg.de>
: :' :
From: Phil Requirements on
On 2010-06-04 20:20:32 +0200, Wolodja Wentland wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 20:03 +0200, Paul Chany wrote:
> > Unfortunately for this I have to have setup XKeyboard layouts in
> > xorg.conf. I had this setup on Debian Lenny because there is the file
> > /etc/X11/Xorg.conf but here on Squeeze I can't find any Xorg.conf.
>
> If you *need* a Xorg.conf there is no harm in creating one and *all*
> user configuration should happen in there. (as opposed to arcane
> udev/hal rules). Take a look at [1] if you want more information. :)

Yes, you need to create a simple xorg.conf, because they aren't
used by default. I had to create xorg.conf on my system to specify
some keyboard options. It works nicely.

Take care to use the proper spelling for the file name.

> > /etc/X11/Xorg.conf but here on Squeeze I can't find any Xorg.conf.
^
Should be:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
^
Good luck!

Phil

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 11:03, Paul Chany <csanyipal(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my system is Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze with linux-image-2.6.32-3-486.
>
> I have installed xserver-xorg-video-s3virge and have XWindow system
> running with Window Maker window manager.
>
> I'm using fookb-wmaker to switch XKeyboard layout for these layouts:
> Hungarian, Serbian Latin and Serbian Cyrillic.
>
> Unfortunately for this I have to have setup XKeyboard layouts in
> xorg.conf. I had this setup on Debian Lenny because there is the file
> /etc/X11/Xorg.conf but here on Squeeze I can't find any Xorg.conf.
>
> Without this setup I can't use fookb-wmaker. :(
>
> Where can I setup Xkeyboard layouts for XWindow system on Debian
> Squeeze?

/etc/default/keyboard

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On 14:52 Fri 04 Jun , Kelly Clowers wrote:
> /etc/default/keyboard

I agree. This is new and replaces the xorg.conf location.
also look at /etc/default/console-setup for your tty consoles.

Mitchell Laks

> Cheers,
> Kelly Clowers

> Should be:
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and

> For me the command X -configure doesn't works, because the system hangs
> forever.

I have no graphics on debian, but it is not debian
specific. Rather xorg.
The last xorg I have is on one bsd node and it has
the way to make configuration file on version 7.4:
Xorg -configure
After that version they went where we all want them
to go, simplifying the x server and having new drivers.
Still in some kind of beta, as I see it.
Just should be recalled that setting variables is not
that hard and could be also made from command line.
Desktop environments already use click and get version
of that. Choosing the correct layout is the task one
has to fulfil. Nothing else.
Best regards

Zoran