From: amdx on
Hi all,
I have been borrowing* wifi from a 7 story condo for about 4 yrs.
I can see about 40 signals, but only about 6 or 7 that are strong
and unencrypted.
In the last couple of months I'm have difficulty getting my wifi
adapter to lock on to a signal. The signal strength is strong, over
80% and link quality is high, 70 to 90%.
I'm using an Alfa, the soft is Realtek RTL8187 wireless LAN utility.
When I'm having trouble it lists the mac address,
but the IP and subnet mask address are slow or no, when they do load
the fall away before the gateway address appears. If I get the gateway
address it works fine.
Any thoughts?
Mike
*I'll return it when they need it.

From: Mike Easter on
amdx wrote:

> I have been borrowing* wifi from a 7 story condo for about 4 yrs.

> *I'll return it when they need it.

What is it that you think those two sentences actually mean?

I think you mean to say "I have been stealing bandwidth from broadband
customers with insecure wireless configurations for 4 years."

Then I think you are asking, "Could y'all please aid and abet my
bandwidth theft; I'm having a little trouble sometimes."

--
Mike Easter
From: Jonathan L. Parker on
amdx wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been borrowing* wifi from a 7 story condo for about 4 yrs...

> ...In the last couple of months I'm have difficulty getting my wifi
> adapter to lock on to a signal. The signal strength is strong, over
> 80% and link quality is high, 70 to 90%...

> ...Any thoughts?

Here's one. Looks like Mother Nature is stepping in where your
conscience isn't. My guess is that intervening foliage-perhaps maturing
trees or vines and the like-have proliferated and leafed out between you
and the remote station.

And I'll weigh in on the side of the other responder so far: Serves you
right.

> *I'll return it when they need it.

"Yes, Your Honor, I borrowed* that car at the curb with the keys in the
ignition, because I had such a long way home and it was more convenient
than paying the fare to ride the bus. *Besides, I was going to fill the
gas tank back up and return it when they needed it."

Seriously, aren't there any public libraries around where you live?
Practically all of them in the Western world now offer free Wi-Fi, and
most don't even require you to have a library card to use it. Okay, you
*might* have to jump an overzealous filter now and then, but I think
that's more justifiable than petty larceny, don't you?
From: Nemesis on
On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:24:03 -0500, amdx wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have been borrowing* wifi from a 7 story condo for about 4 yrs.

> In the last couple of months I'm have difficulty getting my wifi
> adapter to lock on to a signal. The signal strength is strong, over 80%
> and link quality is high, 70 to 90%.
> I'm using an Alfa, the soft is Realtek RTL8187 wireless LAN utility.
> When I'm having trouble it lists the mac address,
> but the IP and subnet mask address are slow or no, when they do load
> the fall away before the gateway address appears. If I get the gateway
> address it works fine.
> Any thoughts?
> Mike
> *I'll return it when they need it.
"Borrow" a better antenna. And don't forget to return it when
you're done.

From: Fred McKenzie on
In article <hudq52$v8t$1(a)speranza.aioe.org>,
Nemesis <somewhere(a)home.br> wrote:

> On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:24:03 -0500, amdx wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have been borrowing* wifi from a 7 story condo for about 4 yrs.
>
> > In the last couple of months I'm have difficulty getting my wifi
> > adapter to lock on to a signal. The signal strength is strong, over 80%
> > and link quality is high, 70 to 90%.
> > I'm using an Alfa, the soft is Realtek RTL8187 wireless LAN utility.
> > When I'm having trouble it lists the mac address,
> > but the IP and subnet mask address are slow or no, when they do load
> > the fall away before the gateway address appears. If I get the gateway
> > address it works fine.
> > Any thoughts?
> > Mike
> > *I'll return it when they need it.
> "Borrow" a better antenna. And don't forget to return it when
> you're done.

Also borrow a stumbler program to see what channels the various signals
are on. Two strong signals on the same or nearby channels will
interfere with each other.

Fred