From: KauaiDave on

I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.

I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
as that same user. The error message says they are
owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
shell and I get permission denied.

A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
to switch to Administrator?

Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
person with the same permissions?

Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.

KauaiDave
From: Jeff Layman on
"KauaiDave" <dryanhawley(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
> were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
> copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
>
> I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
> as that same user. The error message says they are
> owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
> shell and I get permission denied.
>
> A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
> 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
> out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
> Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
> tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
> to switch to Administrator?
>
> Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
> person with the same permissions?
>
> Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.
>
> KauaiDave

How about using something like Eraser to get rid of the files when you
reboot?

I would have suggested using Unlocker, but the 64-bit version is still
awaited. :-(

--

Jeff

From: Juergen Kluth on
Hi,
i guess , you are using explorer to handle your files.
You can create a shortcut on your desktop to explorer.
(point anywhere to desktop, right mouse click -> create shortcut ...
type in "explorer.exe")

After that, you can run the explorer by "right clicking" and selecting
"run as administrator" in the context menue.

May be the administrators account must be enabled before on your system.

jk
you should consider a usb bug in windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972
From: doc on

"Jeff Layman" <jmlayman(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "KauaiDave" <dryanhawley(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>>

>> I copied files from a friends USB drive to my USD drive, both drives
>> were plugged in at the same time on my Windows 7 system, then I
>> copied them to my hard drive and now I can't delete them.
>>
>> I was always logged in as the same user, I tried to delete the files
>> as that same user. The error message says they are
>> owned by the same user (me). I tried to delete them with Cygwin in a
>> shell and I get permission denied.
>>
>> A second related question is how to log in as Administrator in Windows
>> 7 other than going to Safe Mode. I can not figure
>> out how to login as the user Administrator, but I am in the
>> Administrators group. This is not the first time Windows has
>> tried to prevent me from deleting my own files, owned by me. So how
>> to switch to Administrator?
>>
>> Any utilities anyone knows of that will delete files owned by the same
>> person with the same permissions?
>>
>> Darn, I hate .0 releases of SW especially OS's.
>>
>> KauaiDave
>
> How about using something like Eraser to get rid of the files when you
> reboot?
>
> I would have suggested using Unlocker, but the 64-bit version is still
> awaited. :-(
>
> --
>
> Jeff
You mention Eraser; is Eraser compatible with Win 7? I have been using it
for years (with WinXP), and like it very much.
Doc

From: Jeff Layman on
"doc" <rapadura(a)nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message

> You mention Eraser; is Eraser compatible with Win 7? I have been using it
> for years (with WinXP), and like it very much.
> Doc

Yes, works well with Win 7 64-bit for normal file erasing, although there
seem to be problems when trying to erase unused disk space
(http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6088&sid=5579649b1df38b703b128541ff6ae743
and
http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6067&sid=5579649b1df38b703b128541ff6ae743).

I've also been using it for years with XPH.

--

Jeff