From: Dan on
hello,

Short question: Can I run 32-bit applications in Windows 7
professional's Windows XP Mode, even if there is no 64-bit driver
available? Does this actually mean that if an application ever ran in
Windows XP, there is absolutely no doubt that it will run on Windows 7
(either on Windows 7 64bit, or in the Windows XP Mode)?

I try to figure out if I can recommend a client to go to Windows 7
Professional in 64bit version, while he still has some older software
that might or might not have 64bit drivers.

The way I understand Windows XP mode is that it is running in a 32bit
Virtual PC. So, the issue of not having 64bit drivers for a certain
application is not really a problem, right? I just set the application
up to run in Windoes XP Mode. The application would appear to run like
any other native 64-bit application. Correct?
How difficult is this to set up? If I install a 32-bit application, will
it give me the option to have it setup in Windows XP Mode? Or are there
additional configuration steps necessary?

I've never seen this in Windoes 7 so far (in that sense, I'm a newbie).
I played around with VMWare on XP and Vista(also Windows 2003 server and
2008 server), and it has similar features. Though I have to install the
applications on the VMWare guest and then configure it to run as window
on the host. Kind of complicated for my client.

The clients environment includes applications that are pretty localized
to the Swiss market. At least, none of them can be found in teh Windows
7 compatibility center.

thanks for any pointer.

dan