From: mikeyhsd on
did you by chance notice if all your devices properly propagated when booting.

sometimes a hard drive fails to spin up in time.

mikeyhsd(a)lamparty.net

"VE2" <ve2(a)comportent.com> wrote in message news:et8%23m4BUKHA.4704(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Hello
I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
and restarting several times did not help. I ended up
booting from my system repair disk and doing a full
image restore from my backup.
Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
could have done?
From: John Barnes on
You can do a restore point from the install DVD

From: VE2 on
Good to know! The system repair disk had a restore point
option but in my case the restore failed.

From: VE2 on
Everything seemed normal. The PC is multibooted with Windows XP
and it worked fine so I don't suspect hardware.

What I do suspect now however was the last program I installed and was
running before shutdown - picophone, a 32bit voip app. Perhaps because
it deals with IP addresses and port numbers (maybe some assembly language?)
it is not 64bit compatible.