From: VE2 on
Hello
I have Win 7 x64 RTM which has been running well for
some weeks now, including yesterday. Today, upon startup
I could not run anything - all I got was the busy cursor.
I could ctrl-alt-del to the task manager but again the
busy cursor would not let me do anything. Switching off
and restarting several times did not help. I ended up
booting from my system repair disk and doing a full
image restore from my backup.
Any ideas on what went wrong or something else I
could have done?
From: Bobby Johnson on
Virtually impossible to know without more information.

From: VE2 on
Yes, I may never know. I could not even navigate
the task manager to get a clue...

From: Charlie Russel - MVP on
Some things to try if this happens again:

hard reboot and press F8 as soon as it starts. Select safe mode and see if
it solves it. If it does, you can check the alert logs while in safe mode,
and also run msconfig to disable everything non-microsoft in the startup
process and try booting to see if that solves it.

--
Charlie.
http:/msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

From: VE2 on
Yes, I should have tried that. My backup was only a couple of
days old so I went that route. One thing it allowed me to do
after ctrl-alt-del was switch users but I only had one. I now
have two with admin privileges; hopefully now I could at least
do a simple restore point.