From: Jan Hlodan on
Hello,
after upgrading KDE to 4.4, xorg process takes 50 - 90% of CPU and
makes desktop really slow.
I didn't find anything relevant, so if you can take a look at these
outputs and give me some solution, I'll be very grateful.

$ uname -a
Linux napsugaram 2.6.32-trunk-686 #1 SMP Sun Jan 10 06:32:16 UTC 2010
i686 GNU/Linux

Platform Version 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)

I don't have xorg.conf only XF86Config:

$ cat /etc/X11/XF86Config
# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd(a)murphy) Wed Jan 6 13:10:50 UTC 2010

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildd(a)ninsei) Fri Sep 5 22:23:08 UTC 2008

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "keyboard"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Samsung SyncMaster"
HorizSync 30.0 - 81.0
VertRefresh 56.0 - 75.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "Quadro NVS 130M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection
$

$ aptitude search nvidia
p nvidia-cg-toolkit - NVIDIA Cg Toolkit
Installer
i nvidia-glx - NVIDIA binary Xorg
driver
p nvidia-glx-dev - NVIDIA binary Xorg
driver development files
v nvidia-kernel-195.36.24 -
i nvidia-kernel-2.6.32-trunk-686 - NVIDIA binary kernel
module for Linux 2.6.32-trunk-686
i nvidia-kernel-common - NVIDIA binary kernel
module support files
i A nvidia-kernel-dkms - NVIDIA binary kernel
module DKMS source
i nvidia-kernel-source - NVIDIA binary kernel
module source
p nvidia-libvdpau-dev - NVIDIA vdpau
development files
p nvidia-libvdpau1 - NVIDIA vdpau
libraries
v nvidia-libvdpau1-dev -
i nvidia-settings - Tool for configuring
the NVIDIA graphics driver
p nvidia-vdpau-driver - NVIDIA vdpau driver
i nvidia-xconfig - The NVIDIA X
Configuration Tool
$

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G86M [Quadro NVS
130M] (rev a1)

$ glxinfo | egrep "glx (vendor|version)"
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
client glx version string: 1.4

$ grep Driver /etc/X11/XF86Config 2>&1|grep nvidia
Driver "nvidia"

$ glxinfo |grep rendering
direct rendering: Yes

I set up Nvidia driver according to http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
I used nvidia packages from Sid (when I installed Squeeze, 6 months ago).
I'm attaching Xorg log.
Thank you for help!
Regards,

Jan Hlodan
From: Camaleón on
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:51:18 +0200, Jan Hlodan wrote:

> after upgrading KDE to 4.4, xorg process takes 50 - 90% of CPU and makes
> desktop really slow.
> I didn't find anything relevant, so if you can take a look at these
> outputs and give me some solution, I'll be very grateful.

(...)

It seems that several users (from different distributions) were facing
that behaviour:

***
Xorg 100% CPU usage after upgrade
***

Verify that you have the latest "xorg" packages available.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Jan Hlodan wrote:

> I set up Nvidia driver according to
> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers I used nvidia packages from
> Sid (when I installed Squeeze, 6 months ago). I'm attaching Xorg log.
> Thank you for help!
> Regards,
>
> Jan Hlodan

try removing the xorg.conf (or backup it somehwere) and restart X (see what
happens)
this is because recent xorg has changed a lot

if it does not help see what happens when you disable the desktop effects

an option would be to try also with the xorg's nvidia driver

regards

On 8 Jun 2010, at 23:03, deloptes <deloptes(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Jan Hlodan wrote:
>

>> I set up Nvidia driver according to
>> http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers I used nvidia packages
>> from
>> Sid (when I installed Squeeze, 6 months ago). I'm attaching Xorg log.
>> Thank you for help!
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jan Hlodan
>
> try removing the xorg.conf (or backup it somehwere) and restart X
> (see what
> happens)
> this is because recent xorg has changed a lot

I don't have any xorg.conf (only/ etc/X11/XF86Config)

> if it does not help see what happens when you disable the desktop
> effects

I already tried it, but it didn't help.

> an option would be to try also with the xorg's nvidia driver

I have in /etc/X11/XF86Config nvidia driver.
PS: I installed the latest version of xorg package from Sid repository
but it didn't help.
Regards

Jan Hlodan

From: deloptes on
Jan Hlodan wrote:

> /etc/X11/XF86Config
this is not used anymore
you'll have to create an xorg.conf file and try your luck there

try putting there specific options for the nvidia driver (proprietary or
not). I'm using intel here but installed recently kde4.4 with nvidia and
it's working fine. I think I've put an xorg.conf there or it preexisted.

It's possible that you don't use the full capacity of the card to render
whatever you render but I would guess that DRM (3d) is enabled.

what was the speed reported by xgears ?

apt-cache search xgears
mesa-utils - Miscellaneous Mesa GL utilities

regards

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Acer Aspire One wireless issue