From: Steve Kemp on
On Tue Jun 08, 2010 at 10:55:03 +0000, arno(a)renevier.net wrote:

> its correct place (so, what's wrong with strlen?).

I'm going to guess hardware problem. Code looks valid, code works
for me.

Run "memtest" on your machine and see if that throws out any errors?

Steve
--
Let me steal your soul?
http://stolen-souls.com

arno(a)renevier.net wrote:

> hi, I experience a segfault when using strlen. First time it happened was
> when doing:
> strlen(argv[0]), but it also happens when doing strlen(stdup(argv[0])) and in
> some other configurations. When a string triggers a segfault, I can printf it
> correctly, what's more: I can also traverse the string and detect final '\0' at
> its correct place (so, what's wrong with strlen?).

I investigated more. Actually, for some reason, I had binutils-gold installed.
Removing it to use standard binutils fixes the problem.

On Tuesday 08 June 2010 07:14:15 arno(a)renevier.net wrote:
> arno(a)renevier.net wrote:
> > hi, I experience a segfault when using strlen. First time it happened
> > was when doing:
> > strlen(argv[0])
>
> I investigated more. Actually, for some reason, I had binutils-gold
> installed. Removing it to use standard binutils fixes the problem.

Please file a bug against binutils-gold if one doesn't already exist for that
issue. The code you posted is almost trivially valid, so I'd say there must
be some serious problems with that version of binutils-gold.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: arno on
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss(a)iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> Please file a bug against binutils-gold if one doesn't already exist for that
> issue. The code you posted is almost trivially valid, so I'd say there must
> be some serious problems with that version of binutils-gold.

I've filled bug #585051