From: Mark Allums on
On 7/5/2010 5:40 PM, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
> Debian (squeeze) on it.

The machine has a 1.6GHz
> Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
> Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.

Do you not mean a 2.6 GHz CPU (rather than 1.6)?

I would go with amd64. 32-bit Flash also runs on amd64, and
flashplayer-mozilla from Debian-multimedia (rather than
flashplugin-nonfree) installs everything you need. And though it seems
to imply that it exists for iceweasel/firefox (or possibly epiphany) it
works well with Chrome, too.

On 05/07/10 23:40, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
> Debian (squeeze) on it. I'm trying to decide whether to do a 64-bit
> install (amd64) or a 32-bit install (i386). My understanding is that
> the amd64 port is now very complete, and that the principal difficulty
> would probably be with flashplayer (since Adobe withdrew the 64-bit
> version of flashplayer 10 for linux).
>
> There seem to be various workarounds for this issue, but I was
> wondering if the performance gain that one might expect from the
> 64-bit architecture over the 32-bit architecture would be worth the
> extra trouble entailed by these workarounds. The machine has a 1.6GHz
> Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
> Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.

I have a (now) ageing Intel Core2 Duo machine as my Desktop which I
originally installed the 64 bit version of Debian. I found these little
work arounds annoying and just occasionally they didn't work.

I had the opportunity after a disk upgrade to do a complete re-install
and I chose to switch back to the 32 bit version.

I haven't noticed any performance degradation and I just don't get any
hassel from issues with flash etc.

I only (sic) have 2GB memory - but again to be honest, I run mysql,
postgres and a web server in the background (as well as the standard
daemons such sshd and inetd) and I rarely even get to swap. I get the
impression (but I haven't done any careful analysis) that the 32 bit
stuff uses slightly less memory resources.

My main (non surfing the net) activity is web development although I
have done a bit of video editing

The only downside I have had is that I recently was trying to install a
64 bit version of Debian on a server I have and accidently installed the
32 bit version from the install SD card I had made and had forgotten to
label as 32 bit.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Mark put forth on 7/5/2010 11:51 PM:

> I admire the OP's class in his response. Thought that comment about youtube
> and pr0n was completely unnecessary and unsolicited when I read it.

Dry humor doesn't include emoticons.

--
Stan

On 07/06/2010 01:40 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Mark put forth on 7/5/2010 11:51 PM:
>
>> I admire the OP's class in his response. Thought that comment about youtube
>> and pr0n was completely unnecessary and unsolicited when I read it.
>
> Dry humor doesn't include emoticons.

"If you're that addicted to youtube and pr0n" is only dryly humorous
among friends.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 07/06/2010 09:07 AM, Mark Allums wrote:
> On 7/5/2010 5:40 PM, Jim McCloskey wrote:
>>
>> I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
>> Debian (squeeze) on it.
>
> The machine has a 1.6GHz
>> Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
>> Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.
>

> Do you not mean a 2.6 GHz CPU (rather than 1.6)?
>
> I would go with amd64. 32-bit Flash also runs on amd64, and
> flashplayer-mozilla from Debian-multimedia (rather than
> flashplugin-nonfree) installs everything you need. And though it
> seems to imply that it exists for iceweasel/firefox (or possibly
> epiphany) it works well with Chrome, too.

I would also go with amd64. I'm using 1 year now debian squeeze amd64
and never had a problem, except with skype where I had to do something
with i32 libraries if I remember correct. But your question comes at the
very day where upgrading my squeeze as I regularly do, I saw that
flashplugin-nonfree disabled my flash!!! I just tried gnash and it
doesn't work, and can't seem to find this flashplayer-mozilla on
debian-multimedia*...

G.

*
mordor:/home/gpall# grep multime /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org squeeze main
mordor:/home/gpall# aptitude search flashplayer-mozilla
mordor:/home/gpall#

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: bug in the Debian installer?!