From: Jim McCloskey on

I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
Debian (squeeze) on it. I'm trying to decide whether to do a 64-bit
install (amd64) or a 32-bit install (i386). My understanding is that
the amd64 port is now very complete, and that the principal difficulty
would probably be with flashplayer (since Adobe withdrew the 64-bit
version of flashplayer 10 for linux).

There seem to be various workarounds for this issue, but I was
wondering if the performance gain that one might expect from the
64-bit architecture over the 32-bit architecture would be worth the
extra trouble entailed by these workarounds. The machine has a 1.6GHz
Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.

The laptop will be a work machine, but it will not be required to do
3D modelling or any intensive mathematical tasks (except maybe some
statistical analysis and visualization with R, along with some audio
analysis).

If anyone here had advice to offer regarding this choice, I would very
much appreciate hearing it,

Thank you,

Jim

Jim McCloskey put forth on 7/5/2010 5:40 PM:

> If anyone here had advice to offer regarding this choice, I would very
> much appreciate hearing it,

Allowing a single web plugin to dictate your course of action here is
simply...sad.

If you're that addicted to youtube and pr0n go with a 32bit kernel with PAE
("bigmem"), and be aware that any one application can only use 4GB of that
6GB, though the kernel can use it all.

Best of luck.

--
Stan

On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:58:48 -0500
Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Jim McCloskey put forth on 7/5/2010 5:40 PM:
>
> > If anyone here had advice to offer regarding this choice, I would very
> > much appreciate hearing it,
>
> Allowing a single web plugin to dictate your course of action here is
> simply...sad.

[I assume we're talking about flash.] Flash is not really required for
Youtube; I actually have flash installed, but I hate using it, so I
generally just grab the video with youtube-dl (or cclive) and play it
with mplayer.

Celejar

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 17:11, Celejar <celejar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 18:58:48 -0500
> Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
>
>> Jim McCloskey put forth on 7/5/2010 5:40 PM:
>>
>> > If anyone here had advice to offer regarding this choice, I would very
>> > much appreciate hearing it,
>>
>> Allowing a single web plugin to dictate your course of action here is
>> simply...sad.
>
> [I assume we're talking about flash.]  Flash is not really required for
> Youtube; I actually have flash installed, but I hate using it, so I
> generally just grab the video with youtube-dl (or cclive) and play it
> with mplayer.

And a fair number of Youtube videos are available in WebM now.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

On 07/05/2010 05:40 PM, Jim McCloskey wrote:

> I recently acquired a new Dell Studio 15 laptop and mean to install
> Debian (squeeze) on it. I'm trying to decide whether to do a 64-bit
> install (amd64) or a 32-bit install (i386). My understanding is that
> the amd64 port is now very complete, and that the principal difficulty
> would probably be with flashplayer (since Adobe withdrew the 64-bit
> version of flashplayer 10 for linux).

Won't be that difficult, actually, since a 64-bit system can run
32-bit plugins.

What ever you do, go with either Iceweasel 3.6.4 from from
Experimental, or v3.6.6 from upstream so that you can get plugin
process separation.

> There seem to be various workarounds for this issue, but I was
> wondering if the performance gain that one might expect from the
> 64-bit architecture over the 32-bit architecture would be worth the
> extra trouble entailed by these workarounds. The machine has a 1.6GHz
> Intel Quad Core processor and 6GB of RAM. The GPU is an ATI Mobility
> Radeon (HD 5470) with 1GB of onboard memory.

The GPU (actually, which driver to use and get decent performance
from it) would be my big concern.

--
Seek truth from facts.

 |  Next  |  Last