From: Tom Orle on
"R. C. White" <rc(a)grandecom.net> wrote:

>"Drive" letters are like shifting sands. Especially when dual-booting.
>Please don't rely on them. Windows pays very little attention to them.
>
>When dual-booting, OS #1 cannot read OS #2's Registry, so it has no idea
>what letters OS #2 might have assigned. ...

I'm aware of the latter. That's why I installed a piece of software,
like Open Office, twice - once in XP and once in W7 just to make the
respective registry aware of the softwares location. despite having
only one copy of Oo on drive D.

So when drive D got shifted to E I ran into problems. My choice was
to either edit the W7 registry and change all drive references to Oo
from D to E or change the drive letters .
But I lucked out - since both drives were identical copies of each
other and I'm a proud owner of Acronis' backup software and was smart
enough to make a backup copy after the first sucessful install, I
copied/restored just the MBR onto the drive with the shifted letters
and everything fell in place.
This makes me assume that, when booting into W7 on a dual boot
system, it's the boot manager that does the assignments of drive
letters. If I look at bcdedit, it shown W7 on drive F and /ntldr on C,
but after boot W7 is C and the C boot drive containing XP became G!

But thanks to all for your educational insights - I learned a lot.

Happy New Year!!

-=tom=-

From: Sardine on