From: thecat131 on
Hi there
Some time ago I set up the Backup feature on Windows XP Pro so that my
laptop data got backed up daily to an external hard drive.

The laptop was recently stolen but thankfully, the external hard drive was
left behind and I have a Mac desktop computer with Bootcamp.

When I restore the backup.bkf file, the directories are all there, but there
is no data - not a Word, Excel, PDF or any other type of file to be found
yet the backup.bkf file is 119901kb in size.

Any suggestions and/or help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers
From: Scott on
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:41:01 -0800, thecat131
<thecat131(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi there
>Some time ago I set up the Backup feature on Windows XP Pro so that my
>laptop data got backed up daily to an external hard drive.
>
>The laptop was recently stolen but thankfully, the external hard drive was
>left behind and I have a Mac desktop computer with Bootcamp.
>
>When I restore the backup.bkf file, the directories are all there, but there
>is no data - not a Word, Excel, PDF or any other type of file to be found
>yet the backup.bkf file is 119901kb in size.
>
>Any suggestions and/or help would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
>Cheers

Have you tried a search of the external drive looking for files of the
type *.doc, *.xls etc?
From: thecat131 on

"Scott" wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 22:41:01 -0800, thecat131
> <thecat131(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi there
> >Some time ago I set up the Backup feature on Windows XP Pro so that my
> >laptop data got backed up daily to an external hard drive.
> >
> >The laptop was recently stolen but thankfully, the external hard drive was
> >left behind and I have a Mac desktop computer with Bootcamp.
> >
> >When I restore the backup.bkf file, the directories are all there, but there
> >is no data - not a Word, Excel, PDF or any other type of file to be found
> >yet the backup.bkf file is 119901kb in size.
> >
> >Any suggestions and/or help would be GREATLY appreciated!
> >
> >Cheers
>
> Have you tried a search of the external drive looking for files of the
> type *.doc, *.xls etc?
> .
Yes, that's how I know there are only directories on the external hard
drive, nothing else

From: Bobby Johnson on
You really should be talking about this in one of the 32-bit groups.
This group is for 64-bit Windows discussions.

microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support

From: Dominic Payer on
Have you cataloged the bkf file in XP Backup to see what is present in it?