From: Paul E Condon on
I'm thinking that there is a lot of worry on this list about
booting a squeeze system with grub2. My boot rescue skills
were never very great, but now are really quite rusty. And
my rescus CD dates from 2-3 years ago. I have and use a
businesscard CD for installing Squeeze, and I see a menu
entry on it that purports to provide rescue functions. But...
I'd like to read some tutorial material before I get into
trouble. Suggestions, anyone? What are the likely causes of
failure to boot with grub2? What actions can be taken to
fix things when one boots from a rescue disk? etc.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:31:39 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:

> I'm thinking that there is a lot of worry on this list about booting a
> squeeze system with grub2. My boot rescue skills were never very great,
> but now are really quite rusty. And my rescus CD dates from 2-3 years
> ago.

I always have at my side a copy of SGB (supergrubdisk) and System Rescue
CD.

> I have and use a businesscard CD for installing Squeeze, and I see
> a menu entry on it that purports to provide rescue functions. But... I'd
> like to read some tutorial material before I get into trouble.
> Suggestions, anyone? What are the likely causes of failure to boot with
> grub2? What actions can be taken to fix things when one boots from a
> rescue disk? etc.

There is a little explanation about rescue system at:

8.7. Recovering a Broken System
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch08s07.html.en

Anyway, I agree with the wise advice can be read at the bottom of the
page:

"(...) Finally, note that repairing broken systems can be difficult, and
this manual does not attempt to go into all the things that might have
gone wrong or how to fix them. If you have problems, consult an expert."

When a system breaks, there can be many causes and many configurations to
take into account before start making things.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 01/06/10 02:31, Paul E Condon wrote:
> I'm thinking that there is a lot of worry on this list about
> booting a squeeze system with grub2. My boot rescue skills
> were never very great, but now are really quite rusty. And
> my rescus CD dates from 2-3 years ago. I have and use a
> businesscard CD for installing Squeeze, and I see a menu
> entry on it that purports to provide rescue functions. But...
> I'd like to read some tutorial material before I get into
> trouble. Suggestions, anyone? What are the likely causes of
> failure to boot with grub2? What actions can be taken to
> fix things when one boots from a rescue disk? etc.

I have laptops that don't have a CD player.

These days I use 1GB SD cards and a little (cost about GBP 2) USB stick
that has an SD slot in the side, so it effectively gives a USB interface
to the card. I can boot one or the other (ie the card directly or
through the usb converter).

I am not sure of its rescue qualities, I am mainly a Debian Squeeze
installer for installation of new systems.

The unetbootin package seems to be the thing to create these USB/SD card
systems. [note: this needs the card preformatted with a single (at
least) fat32 partition and mounted]. It seems to be able to take any
..iso image of a system and create a usb boot environment from it.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk

Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:31:39 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>
>> I'm thinking that there is a lot of worry on this list about booting a
>> squeeze system with grub2. My boot rescue skills were never very great,
>> but now are really quite rusty. And my rescus CD dates from 2-3 years
>> ago.
>
> I always have at my side a copy of SGB (supergrubdisk) and System Rescue
> CD.

I always use SGB, but what happened to its support lately, notably GRUB2?

Hugo

On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 10:57:28 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Mon, 31 May 2010 19:31:39 -0600, Paul E Condon wrote:
>>
>>> I'm thinking that there is a lot of worry on this list about booting a
>>> squeeze system with grub2. My boot rescue skills were never very
>>> great, but now are really quite rusty. And my rescus CD dates from 2-3
>>> years ago.
>>
>> I always have at my side a copy of SGB (supergrubdisk) and System
>> Rescue CD.
>>

> I always use SGB, but what happened to its support lately, notably
> GRUB2?

Dunno, I'm still with Grub legacy (by personal decision). Grub2 is "brand-
new" (in comparison to the long avialability and well tested Grub legacy)
so I'll keep the old version for at least one more year.

But SGB has support for Grub2, isn't it? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón