From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI on
On Qua, 30 Jun 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Thanks Eduardo, but why does the ´manual´ tell me to have my userid
> and password ready? When and where are those entered? Of course the
> package came with a windows CD that you are supposed to run.

Unless it's a weird device (I could not find it's specs anywhere, so
I'm doing some guesswork here), it has a web interface. Probably it
uses 192.168.0.1 or a similar IP address.

If you connect your computer to it and it gets an IP address via DHCP,
run /sbin/route and look for the Gateway address of the default route.
Then point your browser to it and you should see the web interface.

--
And I alone am returned to wag the tail.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

> > Thanks Eduardo, but why does the ´manual´ tell me to
> have my userid and password ready?  When and where are
> those entered? Of course the package came with a windows CD
> that you are supposed to run.
>
> Unless it's a weird device (I could not find it's specs
> anywhere, so I'm doing some guesswork here), it has a web
> interface. Probably it uses 192.168.0.1 or a similar IP
> address.
>
> If you connect your computer to it and it gets an IP
> address via DHCP, run /sbin/route and look for the Gateway
> address of the default route. Then point your browser to it
> and you should see the web interface.

Thanks Eduardo, I will get the system set up and take a look.

Hugo

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI put forth on 6/30/2010 11:37 AM:

> It could be a wireless router/access point. Does it have an antenna? If
> not, then I don't know what it means.

The 2Wire dsl/router/AP units have no visible classic antenna. The antenna is
wholly contained inside the plastic box. 2Wire has built them this way since
2005, probably much longer.

>> 2. 2wire says that this gateway has a builtin pppoe client. So to
>> configure it I only run pppoeconf and specify the userid and the
>> password and then run pppd?
>
> No. Since the device has a pppoe client, it can do authentication
> itself. You only plug your computer and it receives an IP via dhcp and
> connects to the internet. The computer is unaware how the connection is
> established, your device takes care of the details.

Correct. He may have to plug into the wired ethernet port and hit the admin
page of the 2Wire and plug in the PPPoE uname and pwd. After that his laptop
should pick up an IP from the wireless AP and that's it.

--
Stan

Wed, 6/30/10, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu(a)gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: caught flatfooted with a 2wire gateway model 4011G
> To: debian-user(a)lists.debian.org
> Date: Wednesday, June 30, 2010, 10:42 AM
> On Mi, 30 iun 10, 09:27:52, Hugo
> Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and move to a
> new location
> > (Mexico). There I subscribed to Telmex´s ADSL
> package. They gave me a
> > 2wire ´wireless´ gateway model 4011G and said they
> only support the
> > unmentionable OS. So support is, as usual,
> non-existent.

<snip>

Sorry for the long delay... no system... As it urns out there is not much to do on the gateway´s web interface. All the defaults are OK by me per the 7 year old user guide on the installation disk of Telmex. That is copyrighted for 2003 and part of the info seems to be wrong, perhaps this also.

How does one start the network with this gateway, given that it comes configured with pppoe client all set?

´iface eth0 inet dhcp´

That is the only way I can think of.

Also I figured out that this Telmex 2wire gateway is defaulted for an ethernet connection but if you have a wireless adapter you can set the web interface to ´wireless´. I don´t have a wireless adapter.

Thanks

Hugo

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2