From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Hi,

I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and move to a new location (Mexico). There I subscribed to Telmex´s ADSL package. They gave me a 2wire ´wireless´ gateway model 4011G and said they only support the unmentionable OS. So support is, as usual, non-existent.

2 questions:

1. I don´t understand what the ´wireless´ part of this gateway is. You connect 3 things, the phoneline via a microfilter, the power cord and the ethernet cable to the eth0 port. What is wireless?

2. 2wire says that this gateway has a builtin pppoe client. So to configure it I only run pppoeconf and specify the userid and the password and then run pppd?

I had this thing researched but the system is down and won´t be up very soon and I´d like to know what I´d be faced with.

Thanks,

Hugo

On Qua, 30 Jun 2010, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and move to a new location
> (Mexico). There I subscribed to Telmex´s ADSL package. They gave me
> a 2wire ´wireless´ gateway model 4011G and said they only support
> the unmentionable OS. So support is, as usual, non-existent.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. I don´t understand what the ´wireless´ part of this gateway is.
> You connect 3 things, the phoneline via a microfilter, the power
> cord and the ethernet cable to the eth0 port. What is wireless?

It could be a wireless router/access point. Does it have an antenna?
If not, then I don't know what it means.

> 2. 2wire says that this gateway has a builtin pppoe client. So to
> configure it I only run pppoeconf and specify the userid and the
> password and then run pppd?

No. Since the device has a pppoe client, it can do authentication
itself. You only plug your computer and it receives an IP via dhcp and
connects to the internet. The computer is unaware how the connection
is established, your device takes care of the details.

--
All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars.
-- Kirk, "The Gamesters of Triskelion", stardate 3259.2

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On Mi, 30 iun 10, 09:27:52, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and move to a new location
> (Mexico). There I subscribed to Telmex´s ADSL package. They gave me a
> 2wire ´wireless´ gateway model 4011G and said they only support the
> unmentionable OS. So support is, as usual, non-existent.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1. I don´t understand what the ´wireless´ part of this gateway is. You
> connect 3 things, the phoneline via a microfilter, the power cord and
> the ethernet cable to the eth0 port. What is wireless?

It probably has a built-in wireless AP. If you don't have wireless
clients you can shut it off.

> 2. 2wire says that this gateway has a builtin pppoe client. So to
> configure it I only run pppoeconf and specify the userid and the
> password and then run pppd?

No. Somewhere in the docs it's default (internal) IP should be mentioned
(usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Connect a computer to the Ethernet
port and run 'dhclient'. Based on the response you will know which it
is. After that browse to that IP with some GUI browser (the web
interface usually requires JavaScript).

Through the web interface you will be able to configure a lot of stuff:
PPPoE, DHCP (on or off and if you are lucky fixed IPs), the wireless,
port forwarding, ... you'll figure it out.

> I had this thing researched but the system is down and won´t be up
> very soon and I´d like to know what I´d be faced with.

It's easier than you think, once you get to the web interface.

Regards,
Andrei

> > I had to dismantle the Debian Sid system and move to a
> new location
> > (Mexico). There I subscribed to Telmex´s ADSL
> package. They gave me a
> > 2wire ´wireless´ gateway model 4011G and said they
> only support the
> > unmentionable OS. So support is, as usual,
> non-existent.
> >
> > 2 questions:
> >
> > 1. I don´t understand what the ´wireless´ part of
> this gateway is. You
> > connect 3 things, the phoneline via a microfilter, the
> power cord and
> > the ethernet cable to the eth0 port. What is
> wireless?
>
> It probably has a built-in wireless AP. If you don't have
> wireless
> clients you can shut it off.
>
> > 2. 2wire says that this gateway has a builtin pppoe
> client. So to
> > configure it I only run pppoeconf and specify the
> userid and the
> > password and then run pppd?
>
> No. Somewhere in the docs it's default (internal) IP should
> be mentioned
> (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Connect a computer to
> the Ethernet
> port and run 'dhclient'. Based on the response you will
> know which it
> is. After that browse to that IP with some GUI browser (the
> web
> interface usually requires JavaScript).
>
> Through the web interface you will be able to configure a
> lot of stuff:
> PPPoE, DHCP (on or off and if you are lucky fixed IPs), the
> wireless,
> port forwarding, ... you'll figure it out.
>
> > I had this thing researched but the system is down and
> won´t be up
> > very soon and I´d like to know what I´d be faced
> with.
>
> It's easier than you think, once you get to the web
> interface.

Thanks Andrei, the ´manual´ is a sheet with hookup pictures, but I will see if I can look into the accompanying CD. And I will run dhclient to find out what to point the browser to.

Hugo

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 17:49:58 Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> [...]

When you get access via your browser. If you can't find the IP you need to
navigate to in the manual, then try the two suggested by Andrei. If you are
lucky, the first guess will be the right one!

Once in to your modem/router's web interface, there is likely to be a
connection wizard that will ask for those details. You will also need the
admin name and default password for the modem router, which should be in the
manual and/or on the base of the router.

Once in, you can turn wireless off and change the default password.

HTH
Lisi

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2