From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby on
Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,

I have to use the "postfix" package from this repository:

deb http://debian.home-dn.net/lenny postfix-vda/

But the package name (postfix) is the same.
That means if I have official Debian reposotories _and_ that one
enabled, what is the expected behaviour of apt if I perform a

"apt-get install postfix" ?

I suppose I have to use apt pinning, but as far as I know, apt pinning
is between different debian releases, how to pin between these
repositories for postfix?

Misaotra, Thanks, Merci.

+261 34 29 155 34 / +261 33 11 207 36

On Wed,03.Mar.10, 20:03:01, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Manao ahoana, Hello, Bonjour,
>
> I have to use the "postfix" package from this repository:
>
> deb http://debian.home-dn.net/lenny postfix-vda/
>
> But the package name (postfix) is the same.
> That means if I have official Debian reposotories _and_ that one
> enabled, what is the expected behaviour of apt if I perform a
>
> "apt-get install postfix" ?

Try

apt-cache policy postfix

> I suppose I have to use apt pinning, but as far as I know, apt pinning
> is between different debian releases, how to pin between these
> repositories for postfix?

Not necessarily. If the version is "higher" apt will most probably
install that. I wrote "higher" with quotes because apt can be tricked
via the epoch mechanism.

If the version is identical in theory it should be enough to just list
the special repository before the official one, though I have seen
reports on this list that it doesn't work (known bug?).

If the version is lower (apt-cache will tell you) then you will indeed
need some pinning. You might be able to pin by 'postfix-vda', but if you
need more guidance please post the output of above mentioned apt-cache
command.

Regards,
Andrei
> Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu(a)gmail.com> :
>On Wed,03.Mar.10, 20:03:01, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> I have to use the "postfix" package from this repository:
>> deb http://debian.home-dn.net/lenny postfix-vda/

I changed the repository to my local one (I mirrored the above)
Now it's:

deb http://mirror.malagasy.com/GS binary/

Why, because before using it for production, I choosed to check it a
bit and recompile/rebuild the package.
Then I put it in my own repository.

I kept the name: postfix, to ease the repackaging.

Also, I have a local mirror of ftp.debian.org:

deb http://mirror.malagasy.com/debian lenny main

>> But the package name (postfix) is the same.
>> That means if I have official Debian reposotories _and_ that one
>> enabled, what is the expected behaviour of apt if I perform a
>> "apt-get install postfix" ?
>Try
>apt-cache policy postfix

root(a)second-camel:~# apt-cache policy postfix
postfix:
Installed: 2.5.5-1.1
Candidate: 2.5.5-1.2-vda0
Version table:
2.5.5-1.2-vda0 0
500 http://mirror.malagasy.com binary/ Packages <== my repo
*** 2.5.5-1.1 0
500 http://mirror.malagasy.com lenny/main Packages
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ local mirror of official debian
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

>If the version is lower (apt-cache will tell you) then you will indeed
>need some pinning. You might be able to pin by 'postfix-vda', but if
>you need more guidance please post the output of above mentioned
>apt-cache command.

Above is the output you need to guide me :-)

what to put in /etc/apt/preference so that the priority is given to
"deb http://mirror.malagasy.com/GS binary/", just for "postfix"?

On Thu,04.Mar.10, 11:58:53, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:

> root(a)second-camel:~# apt-cache policy postfix
> postfix:
> Installed: 2.5.5-1.1
> Candidate: 2.5.5-1.2-vda0
> Version table:
> 2.5.5-1.2-vda0 0
> 500 http://mirror.malagasy.com binary/ Packages <== my repo
> *** 2.5.5-1.1 0
> 500 http://mirror.malagasy.com lenny/main Packages
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ local mirror of official debian
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> >If the version is lower (apt-cache will tell you) then you will indeed
> >need some pinning. You might be able to pin by 'postfix-vda', but if
> >you need more guidance please post the output of above mentioned
> >apt-cache command.
>
> Above is the output you need to guide me :-)
>
> what to put in /etc/apt/preference so that the priority is given to
> "deb http://mirror.malagasy.com/GS binary/", just for "postfix"?

Look at the "Candidat:" line. apt will install your version, so you
don't need a preferences file.

If you recompile stuff, may I suggest you use "+" as a separator for
your version not "-". It will work better in most cases.

Regards,
Andrei