From: Jari Fredriksson on

Hello.

I have several PC:s in my LAN, and a Debian Lenny as a router/firewall
on the edge of it.

Does Lenny has tools for traffic shaping. I have one machine here
downloading lots of binaries from Giganews, and I might be tempted to
limit that traffic somehow.

I installed tcng after googling something, but the examples I found did
not compile.

Any good tutorials or pointers for a Debian user with tcng/tc or other
tools?

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Your nature demands love and your happiness depends on it.

From: Mart Frauenlob on
On 03.03.2010 15:29, Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have several PC:s in my LAN, and a Debian Lenny as a router/firewall
> on the edge of it.
>
> Does Lenny has tools for traffic shaping. I have one machine here
> downloading lots of binaries from Giganews, and I might be tempted to
> limit that traffic somehow.
>
> I installed tcng after googling something, but the examples I found did
> not compile.
>
> Any good tutorials or pointers for a Debian user with tcng/tc or other
> tools?

eris:~# aptitude show wondershaper
Package: wondershaper
State: not installed
Version: 1.1a-4.1
An easy to use traffic shaping script that provides these improvements:
* Low latency for interactive traffic (and pings) at all times
* Allow websurfing at reasonable speeds while uploading / downloading
* Make sure uploads don't hurt downloads
* Make sure downloads don't hurt uploads

It does this by:
* Limiting upload speed slightly, to eliminate queues
* Limiting download speed, while allowing bursts, to eliminate queues
* Interactive traffic skips the queue
* ACKs and tiny packets skip the queue

Configuring the wondershaper requires you to accurately and precisely
determine your consistent upload and download speeds.

The wondershaper is the simplest, easiest to use, entry level, traffic
shaping script provided by Debian.

After installing this package, read highly the detailed instructions:
/usr/share/doc/wondershaper/README.Debian

Best regards

Mart

Hi, i strongly advice you, if you do want this seriously, to read and understand:
http://lartc.org/lartc.html

This is the Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO

Here you should find everything you need to shape your traffic at your heart's will.

best regards
Raimund

-
RunSolutions
Open Source It Consulting
-
Email: rs(a)runsolutions.com

Parc Bit - Centro Empresarial Son Espanyol
Edificio Estel - Local 3D
07121 - Palma de Mallorca
Baleares

On 3.3.2010 19:18, Mart Frauenlob wrote:
> On 03.03.2010 15:29, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I have several PC:s in my LAN, and a Debian Lenny as a router/firewall
>> on the edge of it.
>>
>> Does Lenny has tools for traffic shaping. I have one machine here
>> downloading lots of binaries from Giganews, and I might be tempted to
>> limit that traffic somehow.
>>
>> I installed tcng after googling something, but the examples I found did
>> not compile.
>>
>> Any good tutorials or pointers for a Debian user with tcng/tc or other
>> tools?
>>

> eris:~# aptitude show wondershaper
> Package: wondershaper

Thanks!

> After installing this package, read highly the detailed instructions:
> /usr/share/doc/wondershaper/README.Debian

File not found.

Have to google.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

Keep emotionally active. Cater to your favorite neurosis.

From: Jari Fredriksson on
On 3.3.2010 19:54, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
> On 3.3.2010 19:18, Mart Frauenlob wrote:
>> On 03.03.2010 15:29, Jari Fredriksson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>>
>>> I have several PC:s in my LAN, and a Debian Lenny as a router/firewall
>>> on the edge of it.
>>>
>>> Does Lenny has tools for traffic shaping. I have one machine here
>>> downloading lots of binaries from Giganews, and I might be tempted to
>>> limit that traffic somehow.
>>>
>>> I installed tcng after googling something, but the examples I found did
>>> not compile.
>>>
>>> Any good tutorials or pointers for a Debian user with tcng/tc or other
>>> tools?
>>>

>> eris:~# aptitude show wondershaper
>> Package: wondershaper
>
> Thanks!
>

>> After installing this package, read highly the detailed instructions:
>> /usr/share/doc/wondershaper/README.Debian
>>

> File not found.
>
> Have to google.

OK, it was gunzipped.

Does not seem to be a useful utility. Limits all traffic on some
interface, no good. I want to limit traffic per ip address or port.