From: Tyler MacDonald on
After over 10 years of faithful service (essentially when I ditched pine),
I am considering having my mutt put down. Should I move over to gmail, or is
there some amazing scriptable GUI mail client that is going to knock my
socks off with an array of pipes and regexps and color-highlighting and
maybe even procmail-parsing and custom keybinding? (Ideally I'd still like
to use a terminal to compose/reply to most email, it's just the inbox/IMAP
folder management/searching/etc that is getting too unruly for a terminal).

Thanks,
Tyler

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 04:43:03PM -0700, Tyler MacDonald uttered:
> After over 10 years of faithful service (essentially when I ditched pine),
> I am considering having my mutt put down. Should I move over to gmail, or is
> there some amazing scriptable GUI mail client that is going to knock my
> socks off with an array of pipes and regexps and color-highlighting and
> maybe even procmail-parsing and custom keybinding? (Ideally I'd still like
> to use a terminal to compose/reply to most email, it's just the inbox/IMAP
> folder management/searching/etc that is getting too unruly for a terminal).

I use both GMail & mutt together!

Tyler writes:
> Should I move over to gmail, or is there some amazing scriptable GUI
> mail client that is going to knock my socks off with an array of pipes
> and regexps and color-highlighting and maybe even procmail-parsing and
> custom keybinding?

Of course: Gnus.
--
John Hasler

John Hasler <jhasler(a)debian.org> wrote:
> > Should I move over to gmail, or is there some amazing scriptable GUI
> > mail client that is going to knock my socks off with an array of pipes
> > and regexps and color-highlighting and maybe even procmail-parsing and
> > custom keybinding?
> Of course: Gnus.

Hmm. Maybe it is time to learn emacs... :-/

- Tyler

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 04:43:03PM -0700, Tyler MacDonald wrote:
> After over 10 years of faithful service (essentially when I ditched pine),
> I am considering having my mutt put down. Should I move over to gmail, or is
> there some amazing scriptable GUI mail client that is going to knock my
> socks off with an array of pipes and regexps and color-highlighting and
> maybe even procmail-parsing and custom keybinding? (Ideally I'd still like
> to use a terminal to compose/reply to most email, it's just the inbox/IMAP
> folder management/searching/etc that is getting too unruly for a terminal).

Both sup (sup.rubyforge.org) and notmuch (notmuchmail.org) are
interesting works-in-progress that are based off the Xapian search
engine, and have curses-based interfaces. For people who like the gmail
interface, this might be of interest.

me