From: "Wayne linuxtwo on
Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

Stan

It looks like there 'was' such a package but I have not heard that
phrase in a few years.

<http://lists.debian.org/debian-laptop/2004/05/msg00299.html>

Sorry

Wayne

On Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:18:35 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.

Seems it was removed:

e2defrag - Unable to allocate buffer for inode priorities

RM: defrag -- RoM; orphaned upstream and out of sync with common ext2/3
features

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. put forth on 2/3/2010 9:29 AM:

> No such file in stable, backports, testing, unstable, or experimental.
>
> I've never heard of such a utility, either.

I think I found what happened to it:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2006-December/030918.html

> It should be noted that fragmentation is less of an issue on ext2/3/4 file
> systems than on vfat file systems.

Its fragmentation performance in relation to vfat is irrelevant. Read the works
of the folks at MIT who wrote EXT2. It *will* fragment over time, just not
quite as bad as some other "modern" filesystems. The worst fragmentation
scenario is appending large files over time. And guess what I have stored on
one of my EXT2 filesystems? Yes, you guessed it, mbox files. I keep all my
mail, all list mail, including debian-user, in mbox files (dovecot). They're
only a combined 200MB at this point, but they will only continue to grow, and
continue to become more fragmented. Thus, I started looking for a defrag tool
for EXT2. It appears that Debian removed it from the distro for fear that ppl
would use it on EXT3/4 filesystems and corrupt them as e2defrag only works on
EXT2. It's apparently not been updated to work with the journals and other data
structures of EXT3/4.

Luckily I've got a dedicated /home partition where these mbox files are stored.
So worst case scenario I can just create a new XFS partition in my unallocated
space and move everything over. XFS has a non-destructive online defragger, and
it's a superior filesystem to EXT2/3/4, Resiser, and JFS anyway. ;) Matter of
fact XFS has some really nice management tools, light years ahead of EXT2/3/4
and Reiser.

I love having so many good choices available to solve a (potential) problem.

--
Stan

> >I'm unable to identify which package contains e2defrag. Please advise.
>
> bss(a)monster:~% apt-file search e2defrag
> bss(a)monster:~%
>
> No such file in stable, backports, testing, unstable, or experimental.
>
> I've never heard of such a utility, either.
>
> It should be noted that fragmentation is less of an issue on ext2/3/4 file
> systems than on vfat file systems.

I certainly have a /usr/sbin/e2defrag.

1. Do not use on mounted/writable fs.
2. Man says if it fails, you are up the creek.
3. In other words, best to forget this one :-)

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 11:03:18 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> XFS has a non-destructive
> online defragger, and it's a superior filesystem to EXT2/3/4, Resiser, and
> JFS anyway. ;) Matter of fact XFS has some really nice management tools,
> light years ahead of EXT2/3/4 and Reiser.

Can you shrink XFS at all yet?

If not, it's a non-starter for me. I'll have to wait for BTrFS.

Otherwise, I'll start migration now-ish. I really need to get off ReiserFS
before it completely bit-rots.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))