From: Celejar on
On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:09:11 -0500 (EST)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:

> If there is no other interface shown, look for a file in /etc/udev/rules.d
> that has "persistent-net.rules" in it. The actual file name is
> dependent on the architecture and the release of Debian. Look in this
> file. You should see information for both interfaces in it, including
> the MAC addresses. This can happen, for example, if a motherboard
> containing a built-in ethernet adapter goes bad and has to be replaced.
> The new motherboard has an ethernet adapter with a different MAC
> address than the old one.
>
> If this is the case, and the machine really has only one ethernet
> adapter, erase the file, shutdown and reboot. The file will be
> recreated upon reboot and eth0 will be assigned to the one and only
> MAC address that can be found during boot.

No need to erase the whole file, or to shutdown / reboot (assuming the
relevant driver is built as a module). As I note here, just comment out
the relevant line, and then unload and reload the relevant kernel
module.

Celejar

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 16:27:47 -0500, Celejar wrote:
> No need to erase the whole file, or to shutdown / reboot (assuming the
> relevant driver is built as a module). As I note here, just comment out
> the relevant line, and then unload and reload the relevant kernel
> module.

I figured there was probably a less disruptive way, but I knew that erase /
reboot would work, assuming only one NIC. But since we're on the subject,
just what would the "relevant kernel module" be? The device-specific
driver for the NIC, such as xirc2ps_cs, for example? Or a more general
networking module? What would be the exact procedure? I'm guessing
something like:

[edit rules file]
ifdown eth1
modprobe -r xirc2ps_cs
modprobe xirc2ps_cs
ifup eth0 [if needed]

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:17:21 -0600, Chance Platt wrote:

>> One of My Debian has eth1 as the Ethernet card, while all others use
>> eth0. There are only one Ethernet card in each system. Why the
>> different?
>>
> Is there more than one NIC in your system?

No, there is only one NIC in my system.

> I'm guessing udev has for whatever reason identified more than one
> network card installed in your system. It can be caused by changing
> network cards, the kernel identifying your card differently at some
> point (maybe kernel upgrades or bug, changed MAC address..)

Yes, I think that explains well. This is the system that I been kept
upgrading for years. The card changed from eth0 to eth1 during one system
upgrade (and stays that way) -- maybe during hal to udev upgrading.

> If not, delete the rules
> associated with your network card in
> /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and reboot.

Thanks to Celejar & Stephen's help. I get it corrected without rebooting.
Here is my detailed steps:

$ dmesg | grep 'ethernet driver'
[1795967.314420] forcedeth: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver...

rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
ifdown eth1
modprobe -r forcedeth
modprobe forcedeth

$ dir /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 424 2010-01-28 18:45 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-
persistent-net.rules

ifup eth0

AOK!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On 2010-01-28 16:09:11 -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> By default, ifconfig only shows active interfaces. Issue "ifconfig -a"
> to show *all* interfaces. (You have to be root of course.)

No need to be root!

--
Vincent Lef�vre <vincent(a)vinc17.net> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / Ar�naire project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 19:01:46 -0500, T o n g wrote:
> Thanks to Celejar & Stephen's help. I get it corrected without rebooting.
> Here is my detailed steps:
>
> $ dmesg | grep 'ethernet driver'
> [1795967.314420] forcedeth: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver...
>
> rm /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> ifdown eth1
> modprobe -r forcedeth
> modprobe forcedeth
>
> $ dir /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 424 2010-01-28 18:45 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-
> persistent-net.rules
>
> ifup eth0
>
> AOK!

I'm glad you got it working. And I'm glad to know that my guessed
procedure worked. Thanks for the feedback.