From: Zachary Uram on
This sucks. Stupid closed source drivers cause such problems. Any
workaround I can do?

I need to build the fglrx driver for debian squeeze (ati radeon hd
4550 card), but I just saw this bug
saying the packages have been removed from testing due to a conflict
with the x.org transition.

The packages referred to here: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
such as "fglrx-control" and "fglrx-driver" are no longer available so
what should I do?

I don't know when the x.org transition will be finished and I really
want 3D acceleration so I can play my games :(

So for now I must use the open source radeon driver which cannot do 3D :(

Zach

<>< http://www.fidei.org ><>

On Mon, 03 May 2010 01:48:02 -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:

> This sucks. Stupid closed source drivers cause such problems. Any
> workaround I can do?
>
> I need to build the fglrx driver for debian squeeze (ati radeon hd 4550
> card), but I just saw this bug
> saying the packages have been removed from testing due to a conflict
> with the x.org transition.
>
> The packages referred to here: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
> such as "fglrx-control" and "fglrx-driver" are no longer available so
> what should I do?

You mean these? :-?

http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fglrx-control
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fglrx-driver

> I don't know when the x.org transition will be finished and I really
> want 3D acceleration so I can play my games :(
>
> So for now I must use the open source radeon driver which cannot do 3D
> :(

You can always download the driver from ATI site and compile yourself.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 1:48 AM, Zachary Uram <netrek(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> This sucks. Stupid closed source drivers cause such problems.

Agreed. Specifically, the fglrx driver. I don't have problems with nvidia,
but when fglrx-9-12 came out, it broke compiz, so I reinstalled 9-11, and
put it on hold. I haven't upgraded it in months.

--b
From: tv.debian on
Le 03/05/2010 11:43, Camaleón a écrit :
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 01:48:02 -0400, Zachary Uram wrote:
>
>> This sucks. Stupid closed source drivers cause such problems. Any
>> workaround I can do?
>>
>> I need to build the fglrx driver for debian squeeze (ati radeon hd 4550
>> card), but I just saw this bug
>> saying the packages have been removed from testing due to a conflict
>> with the x.org transition.
>>
>> The packages referred to here: http://wiki.debian.org/ATIProprietary
>> such as "fglrx-control" and "fglrx-driver" are no longer available so
>> what should I do?
>
> You mean these? :-?
>
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fglrx-control
> http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/fglrx-driver
>
>> I don't know when the x.org transition will be finished and I really
>> want 3D acceleration so I can play my games :(
>>
>> So for now I must use the open source radeon driver which cannot do 3D
>> :(
>
> You can always download the driver from ATI site and compile yourself.
>
> Greetings,

Hi, what exactly is broken ?
As a workaround you could use Sid packages if Squeeze's are in bad
shape. I have two mostly Squeeze (amd64, kde with desktop "effects"
enabled) machines running Sid's fglrx at the moment and they seem fine,
glxinfo and fglrxinfo doesn't spit any error, xorg logs doesn't contain
errors, and the few OpenGl stuff I just tried are working fine (namely
"Torcs" and "xmoto").

Hope it helps.

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 9:43 AM, tv.debian(a)googlemail.com
<tv.debian(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi, what exactly is broken ?
> As a workaround you could use Sid packages if Squeeze's are in bad shape. I
> have two mostly Squeeze (amd64, kde with desktop "effects" enabled) machines
> running Sid's fglrx at the moment and they seem fine, glxinfo and fglrxinfo
> doesn't spit any error, xorg logs doesn't contain errors, and the few OpenGl
> stuff I just tried are working fine (namely "Torcs" and "xmoto").

Hi
everyone is wrong, fglrx in Debian Squeeze need non-free packages in
/etc/apt/sources.list
ll they need is module-assistant and fglrx

root(a)forest:~# aptitude install fglrx-driver fglrx-glx fglrx-control
fglrx-source fglrx-kernel-2.6.32-3-amd64 module-assistant -y
root(a)forest:~# module-assistant (and follow assistant, select fglrx,
make, build and install)
root(a)forest:~# modprobe fglrx
root(a)forest:~# aticonfig --initial (replaces /etc/X11/xorg.conf if exists)
root(a)forest:~# /etc/init.d/gdm restart (or kdm if you have QT vaccine)

--
"La Voluntad es el único motor de nuestros logros"
http://ngen.com.ar/blog

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Debian+KDE 4.4.3