From: Camaleón on
On Mon, 03 May 2010 20:29:17 +0200, Steven wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 15:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> ***
>> gnome-panel: some application icons lost transparency in notification
>> area http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=551751 ***
>>
>> Anyway, check if the affected applications make use of "EggTrayIcon".
>>
> I found a patch for Rhytmbox dating February 10 2010, which replaces
> EggTrayIcon with GtkStatusIcon, looking at the source I'd say this
> change is already present in Squeeze. So I'd say the bug you mention
> doesn't affect Rhythmbox, or the bug is assigned to the wrong package.

AKAIK, Rhythmbox plugins got splitted from main package and now fall into
"rhythmbox-plugins". So if the upstream version with the patch on
"GtkStatusIcon" was included into Debian packages, the "diff" should be
visible and available there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 20:29:17 +0200, Steven wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 15:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> ***
> >> gnome-panel: some application icons lost transparency in notification
> >> area http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=551751 ***
> >>
> >> Anyway, check if the affected applications make use of "EggTrayIcon".
> >>
> > I found a patch for Rhytmbox dating February 10 2010, which replaces
> > EggTrayIcon with GtkStatusIcon, looking at the source I'd say this
> > change is already present in Squeeze. So I'd say the bug you mention
> > doesn't affect Rhythmbox, or the bug is assigned to the wrong package.
>
> AKAIK, Rhythmbox plugins got splitted from main package and now fall into
> "rhythmbox-plugins". So if the upstream version with the patch on
> "GtkStatusIcon" was included into Debian packages, the "diff" should be
> visible and available there.

Correct, the folder structure clearly shows the plugins folder, it is my
understanding that both packages come from the sources I mentioned in my
previous e-mail.
In that plugins folder, for the notification icon, GtkStatusIcon is
used, the diff doesn't mention either EggTrayIcon or GtkStatusIcon, so I
would assume that patch is included.

Still leaves me with this issue, unfortunatly.

Regards,
Steven

On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:30:53 +0200, Steven wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 19:07 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> AKAIK, Rhythmbox plugins got splitted from main package and now fall
>> into "rhythmbox-plugins". So if the upstream version with the patch on
>> "GtkStatusIcon" was included into Debian packages, the "diff" should be
>> visible and available there.
>>
> Correct, the folder structure clearly shows the plugins folder, it is my
> understanding that both packages come from the sources I mentioned in my
> previous e-mail.
> In that plugins folder, for the notification icon, GtkStatusIcon is
> used, the diff doesn't mention either EggTrayIcon or GtkStatusIcon, so I
> would assume that patch is included.

O.k. then let's assume the patch is already applied :-(

> Still leaves me with this issue, unfortunatly.

Yep. But that should not discourage you :-)

What we have is that:

1/ The issue only happens in one computer (and not other), with the same
version of the packages installed.

2/ Neither creating a new user nor a new panel works.

So... maybe the icon cache is corrupted?

That would fit with the above two cases as the icon cache could have been
corrupted in just one of the computers and still, creating a new user or
a new panel wouldn't prevent the problem from happening because icons
location is a system wide setting.

You can check if the icon being used is the correct one (the one with
alpha channel to get transparency).

I know there is a command to force a rebuild of the GNOME icons cache, so
if you feel adventurous enough - disclaimer, I never tested it before,
this can lead to unforeseen results-, you can also try it ("man gtk-
update-icon-cache").

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 13:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:30:53 +0200, Steven wrote:
>
> O.k. then let's assume the patch is already applied :-(
>
> > Still leaves me with this issue, unfortunatly.
>
> Yep. But that should not discourage you :-)
Your right, it shouldn't :) I'll keep an eye out for any solution,
perhaps I can look into it a bit more in-depth on Thursday.

> What we have is that:
>
> 1/ The issue only happens in one computer (and not other), with the same
> version of the packages installed.
>
> 2/ Neither creating a new user nor a new panel works.
>
> So... maybe the icon cache is corrupted?
I rebuild the cache for both gnome (the icon theme I'm using) and
gnome-alternative (found in /usr/share/icons), yet no effect (also
restarted X). Also there's no rhythmbox icon in that folder, but these
are in /usr/share/rhytmbox/icons, no cache present there.

> That would fit with the above two cases as the icon cache could have been
> corrupted in just one of the computers and still, creating a new user or
> a new panel wouldn't prevent the problem from happening because icons
> location is a system wide setting.
Perhaps, but rebuilding didn't do the trick, also, the desktop (with
issue) was installed from a netinstall cd just a few (maybe 2 or 3)
weeks after the (good) laptop install. No idea how that cache would have
got corrupted

> You can check if the icon being used is the correct one (the one with
> alpha channel to get transparency).
I don't think there's one without it in current installations.

I'll have another look on Thursday, will post if I found a solution.

Regards,
Steven

On Tue, 04 May 2010 23:56:00 +0200, Steven wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 13:13 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> You can check if the icon being used is the correct one (the one with
>> alpha channel to get transparency).
> I don't think there's one without it in current installations.

A quick test: drop/move the non-transparent icons anywhere in the panel
but "notification-tray" to check if they keep transparency or still show
with a solid background.

> I'll have another look on Thursday, will post if I found a solution.

O.k. :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón