From: Steven on
Dear list,

I have Squeeze installed on both a laptop and a desktop, this only
occurs on the desktop.
In gnome, the tray icons on the panel (network manager, rhythmbox
playing, empathy status etc..) are not transparent, the date/time, menu
and application shortcuts are.

Any ideas?
Both installations are up to date.

Best regards,
Steven

On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:40:28 +0200, Steven wrote:

> I have Squeeze installed on both a laptop and a desktop, this only
> occurs on the desktop.

Are both computers using the same GNOME GTK theme?

Are both computers running the same version of the applications involved
in this issue?

> In gnome, the tray icons on the panel (network manager, rhythmbox
> playing, empathy status etc..) are not transparent, the date/time, menu
> and application shortcuts are.
>
> Any ideas?
> Both installations are up to date.

Two easy tests:

1/ Create a new panel and drop there the "faulty" icons. Are they still
showed with a solid background?

2/ Create a new user, login and check if the same behaviour continues.

That would give us a tip about the origin of the problem (borked
settings).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 14:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 02 May 2010 15:40:28 +0200, Steven wrote:
>
> > I have Squeeze installed on both a laptop and a desktop, this only
> > occurs on the desktop.
>
> Are both computers using the same GNOME GTK theme?
It would seem so, both look the same apart from this issue, and both are
using 'Clearlooks'.
I noticed however that the option for Clearlooks in 'System -
Preferences - Appearance' are slightly different (tab 'Theme'), on the
laptop I see the debian icon on some themes, whereas on the desktop I
see a folder icon instead.
Changing the theme doesn't help.

> Are both computers running the same version of the applications involved
> in this issue?
Yes, as I said, both are running Squeeze, and using the same download
mirror for apt, both are up to date. I take Rhythmbox for example, both
are at 0.12.8, but the icon that appears when playing is only
transparent on the laptop.

> > In gnome, the tray icons on the panel (network manager, rhythmbox
> > playing, empathy status etc..) are not transparent, the date/time, menu
> > and application shortcuts are.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> > Both installations are up to date.
>
> Two easy tests:
>
> 1/ Create a new panel and drop there the "faulty" icons. Are they still
> showed with a solid background?
Creating a new panel with notification area keeps showing the issue on
this new panel.

> 2/ Create a new user, login and check if the same behaviour continues.
A new user has the same issue.

> That would give us a tip about the origin of the problem (borked
> settings).
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

Regards,
Steven

On Sun, 02 May 2010 17:33:59 +0200, Steven wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 14:17 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Two easy tests:
>>
>> 1/ Create a new panel and drop there the "faulty" icons. Are they still
>> showed with a solid background?
> Creating a new panel with notification area keeps showing the issue on
> this new panel.
>

>> 2/ Create a new user, login and check if the same behaviour continues.
> A new user has the same issue.

There is an open bug, but the weird thing is that in your case it works
in one computer and fails in the other :-?

***
gnome-panel: some application icons lost transparency in notification area
***

Anyway, check if the affected applications make use of "EggTrayIcon".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 15:46 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 02 May 2010 17:33:59 +0200, Steven wrote:
(...)

> There is an open bug, but the weird thing is that in your case it works
> in one computer and fails in the other :-?
>
> ***
> gnome-panel: some application icons lost transparency in notification area
> ***
>
> Anyway, check if the affected applications make use of "EggTrayIcon".

I found a patch for Rhytmbox dating February 10 2010, which replaces
EggTrayIcon with GtkStatusIcon, looking at the source I'd say this
change is already present in Squeeze.
So I'd say the bug you mention doesn't affect Rhythmbox, or the bug is
assigned to the wrong package.

Sources checked:
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rhythmbox/rhythmbox_0.12.8.orig.tar.gz
http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/r/rhythmbox/rhythmbox_0.12.8-1.diff.gz

Regards,
Steven

PS. Second attempt for this mail, I might have selected the wrong sender
in my previous attempt.