From: T o n g on
Hi,

[sorry about the cross-posting first]

The gpart package that find lost partitions, has anyone try to test if it
still works? "Luckily" my whole partition table is wiped clean by a
running away Windows app, and I get the chance to test it. The result? --

After 1 hour and 25+ minutes of scanning, gpart was able to found 2 NTFS
partitions, and 1 Linux swap partition. That's all it can find, out of my
15 partitions. I.e., none of my Linux partitions are recovered. Worse, it
*wrongly* reports all found partitions as primary partitions.

Yes, after nearly 1 hour and half none-stop HD led blinking, the only
thing that I get is next to garbage. Then I gave testdisk a try, as a
last line of defense in my current miserable situations.

My first choice, quick scan, brought back all my partitions in a split of
a second. 1 hour and half running with next to garbage finding vs instant
accurate recovery -- I think we can conclude that gpart can retire now.
The longer it is in our Debian repo, the more victims will it draw.

To backup myself, this is taken from
http://www.linux.com/archive/feed/57748

"my harddrive recently had problems at the partition table and searches
brought me to your article as well as to gpart's link. But gpart did not
work for me (gives errors that it failed to determine the sector size,
even when I specify it). Given my drive is newer, I am not surprised that
it did not work, because gpart appears not having be updated since 2001",
and it still at version 0.1.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

On Sunday 27 June 2010 13:30:50 T o n g wrote:
> quick scan

An old fashioned, but still reliable method , cli: not gui

You can use the same strategy for partition tables as data ...backups.

'fdisk -l /dev/xxxx' > partition_table.txt,

Then use fdisk to create partitons again. This will write a new partition
table and formating is not part of this process.

I have recovered deleted partitions this way ,never had to do a whole hard
drive.

I found this that has more detail:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Partition-Rescue.html
--
Peace,

Greg

On 06/27/2010 04:30 PM, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> [sorry about the cross-posting first]
>
> The gpart package that find lost partitions, has anyone try to test if it
> still works? "Luckily" my whole partition table is wiped clean by a
> running away Windows app, and I get the chance to test it. The result? --

[snip]
> even when I specify it). Given my drive is newer, I am not surprised that
> it did not work, because gpart appears not having be updated since 2001",
> and it still at version 0.1.

It is fruitless to tell d-u that gpart must go.

You must file a bug against it stating your assertion and your
reasoning.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On 6/27/2010 4:30 PM, T o n g wrote:

> The gpart package that find lost partitions, has anyone try to test if it
> still works? "Luckily" my whole partition table is wiped clean by a
> running away Windows app, and I get the chance to test it.

I have had very good results with TestDisk. It is about 1 year since
the most recent release, though, so it does not handle btrfs or ext4.
But it handles just about everything else, and it knows about lvm/lvm2
and Linux RAID. It is open source, and there is a Debian Packaging of
it. Recommended.

T o n g wrote at 2010-06-27 16:30 -0500:
> The gpart package that find lost partitions, has anyone try to test if it
> still works? "Luckily" my whole partition table is wiped clean by a
> running away Windows app, and I get the chance to test it. The result? --

It sounds like a good time to stop using "Windows apps".