From: abdelkader belahcene on
hi,
I want to hear the login sound when I log in debian,
it is done with ubuntu, I tried to do the same, it failed with the error

bela(a)belaptop:~$ canberra-gtk-play -f
/usr/share/sounds/gnome/default/desktop-login.ogg
Failed to play sound: Sound disabled

the sound is enabled since i can play music !!!!, and play the same file
with kaffeine for example.

please how to enabled it
thanks
From: Camaleón on
On Sat, 17 Apr 2010 21:48:02 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> hi,
> I want to hear the login sound when I log in debian, it is done with
> ubuntu, I tried to do the same, it failed with the error
>

> bela(a)belaptop:~$ canberra-gtk-play -f
> /usr/share/sounds/gnome/default/desktop-login.ogg Failed to play sound:
> Sound disabled
>
> the sound is enabled since i can play music !!!!, and play the same
> file with kaffeine for example.
>
> please how to enabled it

Do you have "system sounds" enabled?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 10:14:45 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

> Hi,

Please, keep quoting when replying e-mails to avoid messing the
content :-)

> I suppose so, since I hear sounds and can play music ? or it is
> another thing ?

AFAIK, it's another thing as I have disabled my system sounds but still
can hear any other music :-)

> otherwise how to enable "system sounds" thanks for help
> bela

In Lenny, go to "menu / system / preferences / sound" and open "Sounds"
tab. There you can enable system sounds.

If you are running squeeze, take a read into this thread:

***
No GNOME system sounds in Squeeze
***

Greetings,