From: Sthu Deus on
Good day.

I have oowriter from testing repo installed w/ all the necessary dependencies. Now at opening of the first document it hangs for about 40 seconds - all other documents it opens quickly - the same is for oocalc.

Is there anything I can do to remove this delays?

Thanks for Your time.

PS Please, reply to the list.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010 02:25:38 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> I have oowriter from testing repo installed w/ all the necessary
> dependencies. Now at opening of the first document it hangs for about 40
> seconds - all other documents it opens quickly - the same is for oocalc.
>
> Is there anything I can do to remove this delays?

As Ron already said, review your system specs.

OOo needs a lot of ram the first time it opens, and keeps consuming a
good quantity of your system resources as long as is loaded.

In OOo 2.4 there is a "quick launch" option that preloads OOo at startup,
not sure if that is available on newer releases.

Another thing you can try is launching OOo with an empty profile folder
(just rename the current one) to start it from scratch and check if the
delay still continues.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

>As Ron already said, review your system specs.
>
>OOo needs a lot of ram the first time it opens, and keeps consuming a
>good quantity of your system resources as long as is loaded.

Wow! What a product!

>In OOo 2.4 there is a "quick launch" option that preloads OOo at startup,
>not sure if that is available on newer releases.

How I can use the 2.4 version in the future releases?! - Compile myself? Or there are some repos for Debian that make peoples life not as bad as MS' ?!

Or how I can make w/o C++ programming save the 2.4 version for ever? Please do not suppose I'm foolish - just want still comfortable working for years....

>Another thing you can try is launching OOo with an empty profile folder
>(just rename the current one) to start it from scratch and check if the
>delay still continues.

Sorry, I do not understand "empty profile folder"...

Thank You for Your time and answer, Ron:

>What version is that? v3.2 from Sid opens much faster than any
>other version I've seen.

3.2.0-4

>"Hang" has a specific meaning.
>Do you mean "seemingly does nothing"?

Correct, just hangs for a while (no any responses) then opens the document.

>Upgrade to v3.2; add more RAM; buy a faster CPU; learn C++ and join
>the OOo development team.

Thank You for the wisdom - so I will do.

?

On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 01:16:23 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>>As Ron already said, review your system specs.
>>
>>OOo needs a lot of ram the first time it opens, and keeps consuming a
>>good quantity of your system resources as long as is loaded.
>
> Wow! What a product!

Life is hard :-)

>>In OOo 2.4 there is a "quick launch" option that preloads OOo at
>>startup, not sure if that is available on newer releases.
>
> How I can use the 2.4 version in the future releases?! - Compile myself?
> Or there are some repos for Debian that make peoples life not as bad as
> MS' ?!
>
> Or how I can make w/o C++ programming save the 2.4 version for ever?
> Please do not suppose I'm foolish - just want still comfortable working
> for years...

If OOo does not offer such feature anymore, you can get "preload¹" which
is... humm, a "preloader" daemon ;-)

>>Another thing you can try is launching OOo with an empty profile folder
>>(just rename the current one) to start it from scratch and check if the
>>delay still continues.
>
> Sorry, I do not understand "empty profile folder"...

OpenOffice saves the user settings under "~/.openoffice.org2" (or a
similar path). Just try by renaming the current folder and start OOo (it
will recreate an empty and new one) to check if you note any speed
improvement.

¹ http://packages.debian.org/stable/misc/preload

Greetings,

--