From: Frank Bonnet on
Hello I'm trying to remove the postgresql package without success ...
any info welcome

# aptitude remove posgresql
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Writing extended state information... Done
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done

# aptitude purge posgresql
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done

h1n1:~# dpkg -l | grep postgres
pi postgresql-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
object-relational SQL database, version 8.3 server
ii postgresql-client-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.3
ii postgresql-client-common 94lenny1 manager
for multiple PostgreSQL client versions
ii postgresql-common 94lenny1
PostgreSQL database-cluster manager

You should execute like this:
# aptitude purge postgresql-8.3 postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-common
Then there may be other packages to be removed, just do that.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 11:08:30AM +0100, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> [...]

> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
> No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
>
> h1n1:~# dpkg -l | grep postgres
> pi postgresql-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
> object-relational SQL database, version 8.3 server
> ii postgresql-client-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
> front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.3
> ii postgresql-client-common 94lenny1 manager

Hi
The package that you tried to remove or purge don't exist.
The name package is "postgresql"
so retried
# aptitude remove postgresql

--
Kind regards,

Eric C. KOM

110 LAWN STREET ROSETTENVILLE
2190
JOHANNESBURG
SOUTH AFRICA

Phone: +27 (0) 788 791 334
Fax: +27 (0) 865 563 009
E-mail: erickom(a)namekom.co.za
Websites: www.erickom.co.za / www.namekom.co.za

Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Hello I'm trying to remove the postgresql package without success ...
> any info welcome

[snip]

> h1n1:~# dpkg -l | grep postgres
> pi postgresql-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
> object-relational SQL database, version 8.3 server
> ii postgresql-client-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
> front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.3
> ii postgresql-client-common 94lenny1 manager
> for multiple PostgreSQL client versions
> ii postgresql-common 94lenny1
> PostgreSQL database-cluster manager

The package name is "postgresql-8.3", you need to remove it by that
name, not just "postgresql". You may need to remove the client/common
files separately.

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowcat Systems Ltd.

On Fri,19.Mar.10, 11:08:30, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hello I'm trying to remove the postgresql package without success ...
> any info welcome

The answer is contained within the question ;)

> # aptitude remove posgresql
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
>
> # aptitude purge posgresql
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
> Couldn't find any package whose name or description matched "posgresql"
> h1n1:~# dpkg -l | grep postgres
> pi postgresql-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1
> object-relational SQL database, version 8.3 server
> ii postgresql-client-8.3 8.3.9-0lenny1 front-end
> programs for PostgreSQL 8.3
> ii postgresql-client-common 94lenny1
> manager for multiple PostgreSQL client versions
> ii postgresql-common 94lenny1 PostgreSQL
> database-cluster manager

Try this:

aptitude purge postgresql-8.3 postgresql-client-8.3 postgresql-common

I'm sure Florian can come up with a patter to do this a bit shorter ;)

(maybe something like 'aptitude purge postgresql-*' ?)

Regards,
Andrei