From: Andrei Popescu on
On Sat,24.Apr.10, 16:15:46, Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> > Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:
> >
> > export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
>
> You can also make it a system wide configuration with
> "update-alternatives --config editor". I have not tried it shells
> other than bash but I assume it is portable.

Yep:

# update-alternatives --config editor
There are 3 choices for the alternative editor (providing /usr/bin/editor).

Selection Path Priority Status
0 /usr/bin/vim.nox 40 auto mode
1 /usr/bin/mcedit-debian 25 manual mode
* 2 /usr/bin/vim.nox 40 manual mode
3 /usr/bin/vim.tiny 10 manual mode

Press enter to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number:

But it won't work if ncftp relies on $EDITOR:

$ echo $EDITOR

$

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Of course, /bin/sh is needed for the basic operation of your OS, it
> couldn't reside on /usr (which is often a separate partition mounted
> later on).
>
> Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:
>
> export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim

This worked OK ! Thanks for this advice.