From: Bernard on
Hi to Everyone,

I use 'ncftp' fairly often, and I wish to be able to edit files on my
remote accesses. The ncftp command 'edit' does not operate here, it says:

"
Setup your Editor environment variable prior to running ncftp
example for /bin/sh:
EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi";export EDITOR
"

But, on my Lenny, I don't have anything relevant at /bin/sh. For once,
/bin/sh is a directory, not a file, and I don't see anything relevant in
it. As for /usr/bin/sh, I don't have such a file or directory

Thanks in advance for your advices.

On Sat,24.Apr.10, 11:28:13, Bernard wrote:
> Hi to Everyone,
>
> I use ncftp' fairly often, and I wish to be able to edit files on
> my remote accesses. The ncftp command 'edit' does not operate here,
> it says:
>
> "
> Setup your Editor environment variable prior to running ncftp
> example for /bin/sh:
> EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi";export EDITOR
> "
>
> But, on my Lenny, I don't have anything relevant at /bin/sh. For
> once, /bin/sh is a directory, not a file, and I don't see anything

I really doubt that! /bin/sh should be a symbolic link (symlink) to
either /bin/bash or /bin/dash (depending on the release you are using).

> relevant in it. As for /usr/bin/sh, I don't have such a file or
> directory

Of course, /bin/sh is needed for the basic operation of your OS, it
couldn't reside on /usr (which is often a separate partition mounted
later on).

Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:

export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim

Regards,
Andrei
Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Sat,24.Apr.10, 11:28:13, Bernard wrote:
>
>> Hi to Everyone,
>>
>> I use ncftp' fairly often, and I wish to be able to edit files on
>> my remote accesses. The ncftp command 'edit' does not operate here,
>> it says:
>>
>> "
>> Setup your Editor environment variable prior to running ncftp
>> example for /bin/sh:
>> EDITOR="/usr/bin/vi";export EDITOR
>> "
>>
>> But, on my Lenny, I don't have anything relevant at /bin/sh. For
>> once, /bin/sh is a directory, not a file, and I don't see anything
>>

> I really doubt that! /bin/sh should be a symbolic link (symlink) to
> either /bin/bash or /bin/dash (depending on the release you are using).

You're right : I had done the trial late last night, doing something
else in the meantime, so I'd mixed things up. I just checked again:
/bin/sh is a file. But it contains binary data, at least I suppose so,
since it reads strange characters such as a number of carets and arobase.

>> relevant in it. As for /usr/bin/sh, I don't have such a file or
>> directory
>>

> Of course, /bin/sh is needed for the basic operation of your OS, it
> couldn't reside on /usr (which is often a separate partition mounted
> later on).
>
> Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:
>
> export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim

I am going to test this

On 04/24/2010 11:48 AM, Bernard wrote:
[snip]
> You're right : I had done the trial late last night, doing something
> else in the meantime, so I'd mixed things up. I just checked again:
> /bin/sh is a file. But it contains binary data, at least I suppose so,
> since it reads strange characters such as a number of carets and arobase.

What seems to be confusing you is that not all Unix/Linux users use
bash. A definite minority use zsh.

The ncftp instructions told you (in, I think, an awkward manner) how
to set EDITOR if you use bash (or it's predecessor sh).

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

> Try putting this in ~/.bashrc:
>
> export EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --

You can also make it a system wide configuration with
"update-alternatives --config editor". I have not tried it shells
other than bash but I assume it is portable.

--
Jordan Metzmeier