Prev: (none)
Next: HotSpot Server
From: Rob Owens on
On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 08:17:57PM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Rob Owens wrote:
>
>> I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
>> infrequent updates. But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
>> in order for wifi to work. I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
>> that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
>> be able to use a kernel from backports.org).
>

> What you need is Debian Backports
> www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions You will find your
> kernel upgrade there, plus you will need to add linux-firmware for the
> new kernel, both the kernel and firmware are in the backports.

I can't use backports, according to the developer of debian-live. That
was the first thing I tried, but it didn't work.

-Rob

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 20:35:29 Rob Owens wrote:
> If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
> repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
> can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
> from the Lenny repos? (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).

This type of setup is neither tested nor supported. Since a number of library
transitions have already gone into Squeeze, I would expect issues, though I
don't know what.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Wednesday 28 April 2010 22:11:00 Rob Owens wrote:
> My understanding is that live-helper must build the kernel so that
> certain modules necessary to the live system get included. I confess
> that I don't completely understand that answer, but it's what I was told
> by the developer.

You should look into the live-helper configuration and adjust where it gets
the kernel source and any (extra?) patches it applies. It should be able to
work with kernel sources provided from lenny-backports with the proper
configuration, since it already works with both Lenny and Squeeze kernel
sources. The bpo kernels are not packaged significantly differently.

If live-helper doesn't have any relevant configuration, looking into how it
receives, patches, compiles, and packages the kernel should give you some
insight into a work-around. (e.g. repackaging the bpo kernel package to have
the same package name but a higher version than the Lenny kernel package.)
From: Jimmy Johnson on
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010 20:35:29 Rob Owens wrote:
>> If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
>> repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
>> can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
>> from the Lenny repos? (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).

> This type of setup is neither tested nor supported. Since a number of library
> transitions have already gone into Squeeze, I would expect issues, though I
> don't know what.

I'm using the Squeeze+KDE4 version of Debian Live installed and it seems
to be Lenny upgraded to Squeeze, it's definitely broken because the
weather widgets will not config, I've seen the problem before on every
Lenny upgrade and it's the only problem I can find, on that system I've
been able to upgrade the kernel with no problem.

I would not recommend Debian Live to anyone looking for a usable system.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 09:48:41AM -0500, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010 22:11:00 Rob Owens wrote:
> > My understanding is that live-helper must build the kernel so that
> > certain modules necessary to the live system get included. I confess
> > that I don't completely understand that answer, but it's what I was told
> > by the developer.
>
> You should look into the live-helper configuration and adjust where it gets
> the kernel source and any (extra?) patches it applies. It should be able to
> work with kernel sources provided from lenny-backports with the proper
> configuration, since it already works with both Lenny and Squeeze kernel
> sources. The bpo kernels are not packaged significantly differently.
>
> If live-helper doesn't have any relevant configuration, looking into how it
> receives, patches, compiles, and packages the kernel should give you some
> insight into a work-around. (e.g. repackaging the bpo kernel package to have
> the same package name but a higher version than the Lenny kernel package.)

Thanks. I think this is the approach I'm going to take. I just tried
install barebones Squeeze in Virtualbox, and I'm running into packaging
problems when I try to install certain software from Lenny (LXDE and
apt-show-versions, for example).

-Rob

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2