Prev: (none)
Next: HotSpot Server
From: Rob Owens on
If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
from the Lenny repos? (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).

Reason:

I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
infrequent updates. But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
in order for wifi to work. I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
be able to use a kernel from backports.org).

-Rob

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 05:35:29 pm Rob Owens wrote:
> If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
> repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
> can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
> from the Lenny repos? (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).
>
> Reason:
>
> I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
> infrequent updates. But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
> in order for wifi to work. I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
> that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
> be able to use a kernel from backports.org).
>
> -Rob

Can you use one of these ?

http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

--
Peace,

Greg

On Wednesday 28 April 2010 05:35:29 pm Rob Owens wrote:
> If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
> repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
> can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
> from the Lenny repos? (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).
>
> Reason:
>
> I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
> infrequent updates. But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
> in order for wifi to work. I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
> that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
> be able to use a kernel from backports.org).
>
> -Rob

Can you use one of these ?

http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 06:02:18PM -0800, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 April 2010 05:35:29 pm Rob Owens wrote:
> > If I were to install a bare-bones Squeeze system, then add Lenny
> > repositories and declare Lenny to be the Default-Release in apt.conf,
> > can I expect to have many problems installing a full desktop environment
> > from the Lenny repos? (Gnome, LXDE, or Fluxbox, most likely).
> >
> > Reason:
> >
> > I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
> > infrequent updates. But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
> > in order for wifi to work. I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
> > that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
> > be able to use a kernel from backports.org).
> >
> > -Rob
>
> Can you use one of these ?
>
> http://kmuto.jp/debian/d-i/

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't think I can use those.
My understanding is that live-helper must build the kernel so that
certain modules necessary to the live system get included. I confess
that I don't completely understand that answer, but it's what I was told
by the developer.

Keep in mind that I'm not trying to do a traditional install of Debian
onto a USB flash drive. I'm trying to install a "live" system, which is
different because it is designed to be run on many different computers
(like a Knoppix CD, but it's a straight Debian system).

-Rob

Rob Owens wrote:

> I use a Debian-Live USB and I like to run Lenny because of the
> infrequent updates. But one of my laptops requires the Squeeze kernel
> in order for wifi to work. I've been told by the Debian-Live developer
> that I cannot install alternate kernels on my live system (otherwise I'd
> be able to use a kernel from backports.org).

What you need is Debian Backports
www.backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=instructions You will find your
kernel upgrade there, plus you will need to add linux-firmware for the
new kernel, both the kernel and firmware are in the backports.
--
Jimmy Johnson

SimplyMEPIS 8.5 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263