From: Sjoerd Hardeman on
Stephen Powell schreef:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:14:12 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> The
>>
>> aptitude update
>> aptitude full-upgrade
>>
>> sequence does not replace a binary kernel directly, no.
>
> I should clarify that point, lest someone quote me out of context.
> It *will* replace a binary *stock* kernel directly.
Sorry, but this is just untrue. Older stock kernels will remain bootable
(and having a lilo or grub menu entry) until you remove or purge them.
Currently I've the 2.6.26, the 2.6.30 and the 2.6.32 stock kernels
installed.
Only security updated kernels replace the old kernel. In that case
you'll be notified by the message that a running kernel is being
replaced, and a reboot should be done asap as the process of updating is
completed.

Sjoerd

From: Stephen Powell on
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:03:56 -0500 (EST), Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:14:12 -0500 (EST), Stephen Powell wrote:
>> The
>>
>> aptitude update
>> aptitude full-upgrade
>>
>> sequence does not replace a binary kernel directly, no.

>> I should clarify that point, lest someone quote me out of context.
>> It *will* replace a binary *stock* kernel directly.
>
> Sorry, but this is just untrue. Older stock kernels will remain bootable
> (and having a lilo or grub menu entry) until you remove or purge them.
> Currently I've the 2.6.26, the 2.6.30 and the 2.6.32 stock kernels
> installed.
> Only security updated kernels replace the old kernel. In that case
> you'll be notified by the message that a running kernel is being
> replaced, and a reboot should be done asap as the process of updating is
> completed.

I was referring to the case where the package name is the same but the
version is different. For example, a 2.6.26 kernel will not replace a
2.6.18 kernel. But, for example, linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 version 2.6.26-19lenny2
will be replaced by linux-image-2.6.26-2-686 version 2.6.26-21. I believe that
is clear from the context, if you read the entire post. In the specific
case above we have a new stable point release kernel replacing a security-
updated kernel, which actually occurred a few weeks ago. This contradicts
your statement that "only security updated kernels replace the old kernel".